PDA

View Full Version : laser printers???

robsonde
27-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Question about laser printers Vs inkjet printers.

the other day i read a thread that explaned that every time an inkjet printer powers up and does its self test it is wasting ink. the way to save this from happening it to switch it off unless you are using it.

the question is would the same appily to laser printers and toner use?

I have a brother HL-1440 and have only had about 1000 pages form it, the manual says 3000 pages @ 5% cover. i know i dont print much but the printer does the self test every time a powerup my computer or re-boot. this becomes about 2 tests a day for most of a year. is this where my toner went??

any thouhgt welcome.

Pheonix
27-03-2003, 04:02 PM
No, the laser just heats up an element and drives stirrer in the toner cartridge. The reason for Inkjets squirting some out is that it cleans the nozzles that the ink is injected out of.

Graham L
27-03-2003, 04:12 PM
If it prints a test page each time you power up, it is using a bit of toner. If you print only one page each time you tutn it on , that's 50%. :D There should be a setting which will let you disable the test pages.

If it does a selftest without printing a page, it doesn't use toner.

Kame
27-03-2003, 04:21 PM
I too have an Brother HL-1440 but yes it's only heating up. The problem I face is that is doesn't stay warmed up, if left for a while. It turns itself off to save power and as for 14ppm, it's not possible unless it's warmed up because you wait 20secs for it to warm up which is far too long to wait if you need something printed straight away because you are in a hurry. Laser jets sound all impressive and supposedly cost efficient but it consumes a lot of power. I wonder if there's any comparisons with Laser Vs Ink, considering power usuage, ink/toner usuage, cost difference and quality?

robsonde
27-03-2003, 04:27 PM
it does not print a page it just warms up.

my point is that you can hear all the rollers buzzing around as if printing.

Kame
31-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Do you understand how laser printers work? You should look up information on that.

In brief, I may not be correct or have my positive charges and negative charges around the right way but it charges up the drum to be negative (I think), the toner is also negative (I'm guessing again) so it won't be attracted to the drum which means you won't be using any toner. When it starts to print it grabs the paper, charges the part of the paper you need to be positive and the toner is automatically attracted to it. The toner then is melted onto the page, only the excess toner will be wasted which isn't much. This is all going off what I kinda remember, so I may need to look it up again just to remember it again.

Basically it's just preparing the drum for use by charging it all negative. Toner is not ink, it's more like a plastic, Excess toner falls into a small compartment in the laser printer and I believe you can put it back into the toner cartridge itself.