PDA

View Full Version : CDR's not meeting right size!!

JamesStewart
27-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Hi all. Sorry but this makes me kind of mad. I get a 700mb CDR (Imation) and when I put it in the CD Burner, it comes out at 667mb's!! Where can I get a CDR/CDRW that will go up to 678mb's??? I need to make a back up (and I mean BACK UP) of G&G Generals. I always make back ups of all my CD's because they always get scrached but I can't do it with this CD.

tweak\'e
27-03-2003, 04:12 PM
What cd burner and what program do you use to burn the cd's with?
Some cd burners + programs can't burn full 700mb disks.

-=JM=-
27-03-2003, 04:14 PM
What method are you using to burn the CD?

It sounds as if you may be doing it with packet writing software instead of writing the whole disk in the normal fashion.

Graham L
27-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Mmmm. This is what happens when there is a standard and people "improve" it. Have a look at this month's PC User magazine. It will make you wonder about your backups. :D

PoWa
28-03-2003, 12:09 AM
I find imation 700mb discs perfect...they always are 700mb and they never cause any coasters...I'm guessing its your cd burner program. What are you using?

I use Easy Cd Creator 5, and clone cd.

If you want to try another disc, SKC CD-R 700MB Professional Premier discs are also very good. They come from the warehouse and are about $3 each. I bought some from the warehouse 2days ago and they were on special at $2ea...good quality disc

Susan B
28-03-2003, 09:57 AM
> If you want to try another disc, SKC CD-R 700MB Professional Premier discs are also very good. They come from the warehouse and are about $3 each. I bought some from the warehouse 2days ago and they were on special at $2ea...good quality disc

Are you sure they were the SKC brand? In my letterbox mailer they are TDK Gold and I was wondering about those. The Warehouse have 20-25% off them until Tuesday. A 10 +1 bonus pack is $9.99 and a 25 pack is $19.99 - less than 80c each.

Only thing is, I would want to try a couple first before buying in bulk in case my CD writer/CD-ROM didn't like the taste.

Susan B
28-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Hmmm, on second thoughts if you bought single CDs then maybe The Warehouse have more than one brand of CD on special even though they are not all listed in the mailer. Still, if those TDK CDs are any good that is not a bad buy.

Anyone used them?

godfather
28-03-2003, 10:47 AM
I buy TDK CDRs from the Warehouse, in boxes of 25, with slimline cases.

They burn at 40x with no problems (rated at 40x as well). Normal price is $29.95 for 25, which is OK when they have slimline cases. They are a selection of colours.

I also buy spindles of 20 SKC's which also work fine. They have a white label face. They are rated at 40x and work at that speed

Lohsing
28-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Well firstly, having read your post carefully, you will not be able to make a 'backup' of C&C Generals.

First question... Do you actually even own the original of the game?

Second question... what cd writer do you have?

Lo.

PoWa
30-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Lohsing jeez man, your obsessed with antipiracy!! Who cares if they pirate stuff, and if they do its none of your business. Also don't attempt to accuse people of piracy or even hint it, because you don't have any proof or even know the full story.

Clone Cd 4, should copy any cd, any time, anywhere and make an exact replica, including copy protection bs.

SKC, and Imation are the only types worthy of my cd writer I reckon. Also never use the 'Maxell' brand, I made 3coasters with them! Absolutely useless. I reckon Imation are they best, they have nice neon infused colours and they also have that type in the mini cd version (185mb - so cool).

Chilling_Silence
30-03-2003, 06:20 PM
I like the Mini CD-R's too :-) Mine hold more though...

I personally have to say that ONLY the Kodak Ultima Gold + Silver CD-R's (650MB) are worthy for all drives.. work on EVERY single one Ive tried when most others havent with budget CD-ROM's.

I personally use the Melody 80/700MB CD-R's from DSE at $1 each, and they burn nice and fast - only no jewel cases at all :(

I just wish I knew where to buy the Kodak CD-R's... keep a stock, just in case.

;-)

Dont forget that for multi-session CD's, it ads 14.5 MB (Approx) to the end of each to close the session or something, and that's not normally taken into account when viewing CD-R's properties.

kiwibeat
30-03-2003, 06:22 PM
How old is the burner some older ones 2x4x etc only do 650 megs and can't handle cdrws

Lohsing
30-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Powa - Now hang on... have you read the post where I discussed piracy with Roofus? I would say you haven't and therefore don't know anything about my position on piracy.

I don't have a problem with backing up something if you have bought it. I do have a problem with people 'backing things up' without having bought the item.

Second point, CloneCD will NOT back everything up. It is partly writer dependent and also copy protection dependent. It doesn't handle Securom or Starforce at all, and there are issues with its ability to defeat the latest SafeDisc copy protections.

I asked firstly whether or not JamesStewart owned the game to determine whether it was a legitimate request to backup the game, and secondly what writer he was using.

It is important to know which writer he is using because cloning a lot of the newer copy protections requires a writer capable of doing correct EFM encoding. Asus, Plextor, Lite-On are more reputable brands able to do this.

This board does not and should not condone piracy. There are other forums where this topic can be discussed, but I don't think the PressF1 community appreciates that stuff here.

I would suggest to you to

1) Learn more about PressF1 before firing off advice regarding piracy
2) Read up on my previous posts regarding copy protection before firing off advice which isn't even correct.
3) Don't tell me not to accuse people of piracy, because I didn't and what's more, I gave JamesStewart plenty of time to come back with more information which he chose not to do.

Lo.

PoWa
02-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Sorry Lo, I was a bit rude. I just get a bit annoyed when people start questioning whether they bought software or not. They can't prove they did or didn't over a forum.

Can you provide a link to your anti-piracy discussion? I would like to read it.

Lohsing
02-04-2003, 07:11 PM
That's cool... no harm no foul... here's (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=30370&message=126852&q=backing+up+my+game#126852) the link... bit of a doozey which split the PF1 community down the middle regarding piracy and what was ok and what was not...

Lo.

PoWa
02-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks Lo, I had a good ol laugh throughout those 100 posts