PDA

View Full Version : Make me in Lycoris? Trying to download that or nVidia drivers

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 03:25 PM
Ive done it - I managed to wreck my WinXP setup so badly not even the repair would work!

So, I nuked that, my Win2K as well, and I've set it up with a fresh Win2K and Lycoris.

Now, Im after a place where I can download 'make' functionality for linux, coz to update my drivers in Lycoris, I have to be able to type:
make install
without it saying something like 'Bash command not recognised'.

So, where could I download 'make' for Lycoris?

Either that, or does anybody have any rpm nvidia drivers for lycoris?

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

whetu
26-03-2003, 03:30 PM
i'm no linux guru, but IIRC there should have been a programming package that you can install, it comes with all the stuff necessary to get the make command working... It's been awhile since I used lycoris, but this was the case the last time I installed redhat...

Graham L
26-03-2003, 03:33 PM
If you haven't got "make", you haven't got the development package. That includes the compilers, the source code for the OS, the headers, and the various text utilities. It's not just one programme.

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines... So where can I download these packages from?

Graham L
26-03-2003, 04:05 PM
I don't know. :D It has come with every distribution I've ever had. I just typed "y" to install it. If Lycoris is based on Red Hat, you could try the rpmfind site. (You will probably need the X development stuff too).

Dolby Digital
26-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Lycoris is based on Caldera Open Linux...

There must a package for gcc you can install... what happens if you type gcc at the command line?

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Im not too sure, I'll reboot soon.

Im just downloading Win2K sound drivers at the moment...
Ironic.. Im sure that Linux was supposed to have less sound support etc. than Windows... yet, it picked up my onboard and my SB!Live card, whereas doze did not!

Plus there's a 20 meg download for the Detonators, opposed ot a 3 1/2 meg total downlaod in Lycoris.

So that's 45 megs for sound/vid drivers for doze.. and 3 1/2 megs for Linux...

Perhaps they got their wires crossed along the way.... ;-)

Lycoris is what used to be Redmond Linux if it means anything to you.

I'll try typing gcc into the CLI soon :-)

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 04:57 PM
> There must a package for gcc you can install... what
> happens if you type gcc at the command line?

Nothing, I just get the same error as when I tell it to make - Bash doesnt recognise the command :-(

Dolby Digital
26-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Fire up the Package Manager and look for the the gcc development (Linux development?) packages. I presume they are in the one disk distribution.

bmason
26-03-2003, 05:25 PM
This (http://www.lycoris.com/webservices/kb/viewKbarticle?record_id=35) may help.

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I knew of that, Only you have to have a Product ID, and I dont coz mine is a download version (Actually off the Aus. PCW).

I dont know where its package manager is.. or what it is...

Ive put in the CD, but it just has a few extra things like the Flower menu editor, not what Im after.

BTW - My main mouse cursor is invisible and its become a real pain having to use it without knowing where my mouse is. How do I fix that too if anybody knows?

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

bmason
26-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Oh. Didn't know they were doing that.

Texstar (ftp://207.251.100.93/testars_rpms_lycoris_rpms/) has some unoffical ones. He's also a _great_ source of mandrake RPMs.

re: the cursor

If your happy editing your /etc/X11/xf86Config-4 file, find the "Device" section and a this:

Option "sw_cursor"

And restart X. Don't forget to remove it again after you install the nvidia drivers.

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Just what Im after :-)

I'l let you know how I get on :-)

Chilling_Silence
27-03-2003, 10:07 AM
bmason>

Thanks man, the sw_cursor option was there, but had been made a comment ( with a # ), so that worked a treat.

Everybody>
I then proceeded to download the rpm's from the website bmason gave me (Thanks), Installed them, changed the XFree86-4 config file (According to nVidia.com's directions) and rebooted.

Now, I log back in and hit:
init 5
it'll begin getting into the GUI (My default run-level is 3, also as per nVidia.com's instructions - Set the default RL to 3 and then install the rpm's) but then it'll stop and try and switch to Run-Level 4.

Now, I want 5 coz I NEED a GUI for it... So why's it going into 4?

I installed the drivers fine, came up with everything saying that they were peachy, but then I realised Ive installed the i586 ones, and Ive got an Athlon, so could that be where its gone wrong?

The other thing Im thinking (Im not at home right now...) is that maybe I shouldnt have modified the XFree86-4 file, like I did in RedHat?

What are everybodies thoughts on this?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

bmason
27-03-2003, 03:55 PM
The i586 should be fine. It just means its optimised for i586 so it will match the rest of lycoris (at a guess).

Try using startx instead of init 5 so it only loads X rather than all the runlevel 5 stuff.

Chilling_Silence
28-03-2003, 01:39 PM
So startx should start it.. and work.. Sorry, Im at work at the moment... Cant try it out.

I did a clean install last night, didnt really do anything, but as soon as intallation finished, it came up with the X-misconfigured screen... and I had only just done install.. not a single reboot :(

I'll give it a shot, thanks :-)

bmason
28-03-2003, 02:39 PM
> So startx should start it.. and work..

Well, it will do the first bit.

Its been a while since I've setup a nvidia card so I'm not sure about the second (had to take the GF2 back because biostar make crap motherboards).

Chilling_Silence
28-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Mines an MSI GeForce 4 MX 440 SE-T with TV/O (S-Vid and RCA).

I tried just changing the default run-level from 3 to 5, and no joy.

Should I try formatting it (Ive only had it 2 days.. done almost nothing in it) and installing the RPM while in the GUI, and just not edit the XFree86-4 config file?

I cant actually remember any Lycoris instructions to modify it (Except changing the driver from vesa or nv (neither work right..) to nvidia!?!).

Thanks

Chill.

bmason
28-03-2003, 07:33 PM
If its failing while starting X, the XFree logs will probably tell you why. They live in /var/log/ and are called XFree86.*.log.

If its failing to load the nvidia module, the system log will tell you, which is in /var/log/syslog.

The opensource "nv" driver only just got support for GF4s with XFree 4.3.0 which will be why you had the vesa driver.