PDA

View Full Version : new monitor

kings
26-03-2003, 03:14 PM
I am thinking of purchasing a new monitor I have been considering the following brands Philips 109s. AOC. or Viewsonic I would like a CRT type either 17 or 19 inch.my current monitor is a Gateway 17 inch but it is sick and cant be repaired. I want a nice clear definition with good colour as I do a lot of photo work.Any comments would be welcome Thanks.

whetu
26-03-2003, 03:36 PM
depends on your budget really...

The AOC's are excellent bang for the buck, and my source (good friend who works for inhouse.co.nz) tells me that they have an exceptionally low return rate compared to other monitor brands

I'd really put them all on par with each other myself... look for whichever has the lowest dotpitch (the AOC's are .21 IIRC compared to the philips' .25) and go for that... try find a store that has all 3 monitors and see if you can get a side-by-side viewing, and ask if you can see all the menu settings etc

good luck with your choice

-=JM=-
26-03-2003, 07:17 PM
I have an AOC and there are a view wee things that I don't like about it. But that maybe just my one, I'll have to check out some others at some stage.

Baldy
26-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Maybe you would like to say what you don't like about it JM

brig
26-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Got a 17" AOC at Xmas with a new PC....can't fault it.

As far as I'm able to tell it's every bit as good as the Philips 107S on our second PC

-=JM=-
26-03-2003, 09:17 PM
I find that if I have something dark on the screen then open up a white window the size of the picture increases. Something to do with power levels I think.

Also seems to "warmup"

Thomas
26-03-2003, 09:27 PM
I have a ViewSonic E70,couldn't wish for better,except of course the fashionable new flat jobbies;)

whetu
26-03-2003, 09:52 PM
that happens with most monitors.. even happens slightly with my philips 107S..

download and try this:
http://www.construnet.hu/Nokia/Monitors/TEST/monitor_test.html
(do the convergence test)

or give this a shot:
http://www.monitorsdirect.com/toolkit/index.shtml
(launch toolkit -> power supply)

The Student
26-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Hi,

Viewsonic are world leaders for monitors. But the cost factor can be higher than the rest of the pack. I have seen some Viewsonic monitors roughly around the $300 - $500 mark for flat CRT's.

Needless to say, Philips also produce some good monitors also. Mostly used in Business and Home use, as quite a popular brand.

Between them both, if you have extra $$$ then I'd say Viewsonic. As for a reasonable price without weighing you down of unecessary value, then Philips is a good brand to follow.

whetu
26-03-2003, 10:22 PM
here's a good read:
http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~evans/articles/monitor/index.html

ignore the simplicity of the page, the guy used to work as a monitor repair technician

kings
27-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Thanks for your comments people also for the website tests and reading looks like my Gateway monitor is going well when I test it but I cannot get the brightness to increase and had it into a technican he said there no adjustments inside it is the EV700 model.Thats why I need a new one

-=JM=-
27-03-2003, 12:41 AM
Yeah that powersupply test does it for me.