PDA

View Full Version : Java Plugin won't load

jamesjiao
26-03-2003, 02:27 PM
Hi,

I have a very weird problem here.

I went to http://java.sun.com/getjava/ to get the latest copy of Java Plugin for Internet Explorer, it automatically detected my old version and started to download the new version. Everything was good until the software was installed. Now Java applets no longer load in my browser (IE). A red cross pops up in the top left corner of the Java applet canvas area indicating failed initialation. When I open my Java console, it lists a host of exceptions that I don't understand.

Then I asked my friend to do the same thing. Detect, download and install. Everything went perfectly smoothly on his computer. No errors whatsoever.

I am using Windows 2000 (my friend - Win98) on my com. Does anybody have any suggestions on this one?

Dolby Digital
26-03-2003, 02:38 PM
What versions of IE? Are they the same?

bmason
26-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Try removing java completely then reinstalling it.

jamesjiao
26-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Yep.. both 6.0

jamesjiao
26-03-2003, 06:02 PM
i did.. i removed every bit of Java on my com, and reinstalled it still the same :(

jamesjiao
26-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all your reponses. I got it fixed now.

The problem was not with the plug-in but the LAN. The Connection settings prevented me from executing the applets i guess.

In Internet Option -> Connection settings -> LAN settings, there is an option for you to use a proxy server for the LAN. Since I need to access my electrical engineering server with specific HTTP and FTP settings, this option has to be ticked. However, enabling this option prevents me from loading Java applets (hence the exception in the SocketImpl class).

Oh well, the problem is solved now, but it's just that everytime i want to access the elec server, i will have to re-enable this option.

Thank you for all your help again :).