PDA

View Full Version : Damn Ram!!!

desmondo
26-03-2003, 01:02 AM
I have an 'old' HP Pavilion 8208. I attempted to insert some extra memory as the whopping 32 megs was a little old and slowing things down a liitle on my computer. However, my computer won't accept it. It won't even allow my operating system to run. The memory in there currently is 32mbytes sdram 66 and I have tried to plug in 128mbytes sdram 133. I was assured that the different memory speeds should not matter, however, I am still facing problems. Would some one please enlighten me. Please!!!

Lohsing
26-03-2003, 01:04 AM
It could just be your motherboard not able to support that high a ram quantity?

Lo.

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 01:36 AM
I would suggest that you try JUST the new 128MB RAM chip, and see if that works, as some PC's can be a bit fussy about new/old RAM speeds being mixed if they're of different sizes and all....
So try just the 128MB chip, coz 128MB is better than 32... May be able to sell it on Trademe for $30 odd :-)

godfather
26-03-2003, 01:40 AM
I have just recently put 1 64 Meg stick, plus two 32 Meg sticks in an 8208. Worked fine. They have 3 sockets, and the ram was unused, so tried it. Went very well on 128 Mb RAM I must say. Been a VERY reliable machine, have lent it to a relative for net use. Quite impressed with the speed when a fresh install was done.

Cant remember the source of the RAM but was generic I believe.
The different speeds will not likely be an issue as all will run at 66.
I wonder if it doesnt like 128 sticks?

HP have the motherboards and BIOS with peculiar requiremets that dont apply to the generic releases, so its quite possible that a single 128 is a no-no.

desmondo
26-03-2003, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the information. I am now wondering where I could purchase such memory (64 and 32 memory sticks) that would be compatible with my hp 8208, eg. brand, type, etc?

Robby
26-03-2003, 09:43 AM
Gidday,

Sometimes Ram isn't accepted unless it is placed in a particular order.
The slots are numbered 0, 1,and 2, starting from the top. try placing the
larger Ram in the first slot, and the smaller one in the other.

Doing a search of the HP web site, for you machines stats, may also
help in determining, whether your mother board is able to handle 128
Ram.

good luck,

Robby