PDA

View Full Version : Converting to NTFS

agent
26-03-2003, 12:07 AM
I'm running Windows XP Professional.

Should I use Partition Magic 7 or Windows XP's 'convert' command-line utility. Somehow I don't trust the command-line, but I trust something that comes with Windows in keeping my files etc in line than a third-party utility.

So, what do I use, and how?

I've already run a full scandisc on both my hard drives, and I'm in the process of defragging.

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Defrag isnt neccesary if you're just converting, really....

Ive used both, both take same amount of time to convert an active partition (Rebooting into DOS), but if its a secondary partition, PM can do it from within Doze.

Either way, doesnt matter, but Id pick PM :-)

raddersnz
26-03-2003, 04:02 AM
Well, let me see then. You want to decide on the tool to use?:|
On the left hand you have Windows XP, the OS which can make its own bed.
On the right hand you have Partition Magic, a specialty tool for making partitions.
Both will make the same thing. However, PM can be used to make and stretch and shrink partitions. I would recommend having 2 partitions for XP - 1 for the OS and Proggies. - 1 for data, misc files.
Although on recommending that, I now read
>> I've already run a full scandisc on both my hard drives, and I'm in the
>> process of defragging.

I cannot remember how PM works off the top of my head, but you just tell it to fromat the drive in NTFS 5.0
You should put all the stuff you want to keep on 1 drive, then redo that drive. Then you can put all files there, and do the other drive.
I would hope you are not just going to settle for the convert option. Please do/ make a newly formatted partition.
Just do one drive at a time, and store everything you want to keep on the other drive. This will give you a better finish - like sanding and varnishing 3 times compared to a simple stain.

GL
Radz:p

The Student
26-03-2003, 05:47 AM
Hi,

Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

3rd party utilities tend to be more reliable, as more emphasis is put forward on the product, rather than one that may come with the O.S.

If just creating basic partitions to NTFS, then use the Disk Management Service rather than PQ Magic. Use PQ Magic for the Big important jobs, like re-sizing, shifting, copying data etc...

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 08:25 AM
You really only need to defrag the partition if you're going to me merging/splitting/resizing the things.

I personally havent had to do it yet... my drives always have enough free space.. its just for squeezing out that little extra I guess :-)

Id go with PM, as it is the specialized tool, and coz its easy enough to go back with it should you want :-)

Billy T
26-03-2003, 09:55 AM
Just wondering Agent. ?:|

Why convert to NTFS at all? Unless you need the security it just adds to the complications of keeping a PC running and although in theory iNTFS files take up less disk space, in practice it takes up more because it reserves a huge chunk of your HDD for the master file table (Iforget what they call it in NTFS) instead of just growing it as you add data to your disk as FAR32 does. I know that matters less with today's humungous drives, but just the same, I abhor wasted space.

Also, NTFS takes away your DOS options for dealing with disasters that need basic disk access to recover.

I am yet to be convinced of any compelling reason (other than security) to use NTFS, outside of a serious commercial environment perhaps.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 11:05 AM
I use it for the Disk Quota management.. making sure the sibblings dont try installing huge pieces of software etc.

Billy T
26-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Oh... I see.

Might not your proposed limitations on disk quota lead to sible war? :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 03:29 PM
> Might not your proposed limitations on disk quota
> lead to sible war? :D
>

LOL!

;-)

agent
26-03-2003, 07:08 PM
I can fit the contents of a 6GB drive on my 40GB one... but not the other way around...

Anyway, I think I'll use PartitionMagic to convert. Not format. Formatting is bad. And perhaps I'll cut down on copying all my albums to my HDD (the primary usage of space on the 40GB drive).

And the reason why I want to convert, is simply security. For example, maybe after converting to NTFS I'll be able to allow CyberChuck to use my computer (logged in as Guest, of course), without worrying about him going around mucking up everything (not just settings, files too).

Billy T
26-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Seems I have a lot to learn yet :(

I didn't know that NTFS would add that much security over and above the authorisations that could be put in place by the OS.

Maybe cyberchuck needs a shorter rope.;)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

raddersnz
29-03-2003, 08:10 AM
> I can fit the contents of a 6GB drive on my 40GB
> one... but not the other way around...
Just the necessary bits will do. You can always install files again. Its not that hard.

> Anyway, I think I'll use PartitionMagic to convert.
> Not format. Formatting is bad. And perhaps I'll cut
> down on copying all my albums to my HDD (the primary
> usage of space on the 40GB drive).
ILMFAO. Since when is formatting bad. I am about to LOL in your face. It will be a far supperior drive if you format if, rather than upgrade it. Do you have any knowledge of computing?:| You seem to spout off as if you do. If so you could easily format the drive, and in an hours time (somewhere less than 2) you will have a clean system.
Upgrading was designed for the inexperienced home user, who doesn't care that their computer will suffer because of it.
Here is some information on NTFS (http://www.ntfs.com/)
And this article (http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm) compares FAT32 with NTFS.

> And the reason why I want to convert, is simply
> security. For example, maybe after converting to NTFS
> I'll be able to allow CyberChuck to use my computer
> (logged in as Guest, of course), without worrying
> about him going around mucking up everything (not
> just settings, files too).

You want to convert, but not correctly?:| If there is any inconsistencies in the system, or strange files in the registry, you will be stuck with them.
You can use the winXP CD to uninstall the OS, and then install XP totally afresh. All up, I would say in 2hrs you could have it running.

Time to do something else

radz:p

Mike
29-03-2003, 09:47 AM
>>> ILMFAO. Since when is formatting bad. I am about to LOL in your
>>> face. It will be a far supperior drive if you format if, rather than
>>> upgrade it. Do you have any knowledge of computing You seem to
>>> spout off as if you do.

Why will formatting give him a far superior drive? Does formatting make it faster? So if I format my 5400 it'll suddenly become 7200? Or does it make it bigger, so my 40gb will just become an 80gb?

There should be no need at all to have to format just to convert from FAT32 to NTFS. No need at all. If there are problems after the convert, they were there already, and then if need be you can format if you have to, but I doubt that will be necessary. What a complete waste of time.

>>> Upgrading was designed for the inexperienced home user, who
>>> doesn't care that their computer will suffer because of it.

No it wasn't - it was put there as a simple way to convert from FAT32 to NTFS. A lot of people do it, and most of them are not inexperienced home users. Those inexperienced home users firstly wouldnt' know what they're doing, and secondly probably won't be doing it anyway.

>>> You want to convert, but not correctly

How can you say it's not the correct way of doing it, when it's the way that Microsoft included with their software to do it. Personally I think the easy way round it is to format, not to convert :)

>>> If there is any inconsistencies in the system, or strange files in the
>>> registry, you will be stuck with them.

Inconsistencies in the system would be there before a convert as well. If you're that paranoid about system problems, do you format every week just in case? And since when were files stored in the registry?

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't go telling someone else that they don't.

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
29-03-2003, 10:25 AM
Im with Mike on this one, I think you were a little harsh there in what you said...

Billy T>
Yeah, Its great..

Folder Encryption (Never used it), Apparently when it writes to the drive, it reads back to itself to confirm that the data was written correctly (Not 100% sure on that mind you), and also you can simply go into a folders properties, say your My Documents folder and tell it to make it Private and thats it, the rest of the users are locked out!

Even the same username/PWD in a different OS, still locked out!

But there's no R/W support in Linux for it yet (Well.. its buggy..)