PDA

View Full Version : Ghost in the machine

shortly
25-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Can anyone help with this problem? I seem to have a ghost living within my machine. If i'm at an input stage within any windows app a mysterious bunch of text appears as if someone from within was writing a doc. I've tried virus and trojan scans but nothing. IT'S HAUNTED!! I run Win XP Pro, Outlook, IE6 etc

stu140103
25-03-2003, 06:25 PM
> Can anyone help with this problem? I seem to have a
> ghost living within my machine. If i'm at an input
> stage within any windows app a mysterious bunch of
> text appears as if someone from within was writing a
> doc. I've tried virus and trojan scans but nothing.
> IT'S HAUNTED!! I run Win XP Pro, Outlook, IE6 etc

You will need to give us a bit more info, e.g. like any error message you are getting etc...

What do you mean by: "If i'm at an input stage within any windows app a mysterious bunch of text appears as if someone from within was writing doc." is the background of "the mysterious bunch of text " blue???? ;)

Can you run any other app?? E.g. a non-windows app??

How long has this been happing for???

shortly
26-03-2003, 09:25 AM
I don't get error messages when this happens. What I meant by input stage was e.g. if I open a new email doc in outlook as if i was going to create a new mail, with the cursor sitting waiting for input, words strung together to form nonsence sentences start to appear as if I were typing them in.

This has happened in Word and Excel also and maybe other apps I'm not sure. It doesn't do it all the time. I'm also not sure if it does it in non Windows apps, I'll check next time it does it. It's not doing now although it normally would.

I guess it's been happening on and off for a couple of weeks?

I've had experienced friends look at it and scratch their heads, they seem convinced that it is some sort of Trojan or similar but can't trace its source.She ....it just did it! That word "she" was not written by me!

Spooky!

Pheonix
26-03-2003, 10:05 AM
You haven't got a microphone attached have you? If so, mute it in the windows controls. Spooky I know , but windows has a speech recognition program in it, and if it has been activated....well ghosts could occur :D

shortly
26-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Thanks Phoenix.........Valid thought, my machine is a Laptop with a built in mic, all disabled but ghost still there. The text doesn't seem to match words that normally use anyway (no F** words!) :-).

The text comes in bursts about 4-5 words long, the next burst makes no sence in relation to the previous.

shortly
26-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Thank you to Phoenix and stu140103 for your help. Phoenix you were mostly right after all. The problem was related to the "Alternative Input Processor". Even tho I had disabled specch recognition and muted the mic the ghost still got thru. Disbaled the Alternative input whatsit and bingo. Thanks fellas!! or fellaresses :-)

stu140103
26-03-2003, 03:31 PM
It is nice to hear that you got that "Ghost”:p out of your computer! :D