PDA

View Full Version : Where to but AT compatible motherboards

mikaelanz
25-03-2003, 11:49 AM
A friend of mine has an AT case and needs a new motherboard as the current died.He wants to replace the board, increase ram and get a new processor.

Aside from replacing the case, does anyone have any indepth knowledge
of AT motherboards, best brands etc.

thanks

Chilling_Silence
25-03-2003, 11:54 AM
All I can say is that Trademe's probably the best place to go, but if you're looking to pay more than $300 for the upgrade, buy a new case, mobo, and CPU from Pricespy.co.nz instead!

Brands.. Well.. I guess as long as the previous owner's taken care of it you're sweet coz I doubt you'll be buying brand new..

Although there are still some out there, Ive seen one compatible with Celeron CPU's and SD-RAM for about $150-180ish :-)

HTH

Chilling_Silence

the highlander
25-03-2003, 09:01 PM
How much you are looking at spending would enable a more informed reply since upgrading an AT box is not that cost efficient compared to purchasing new.

The best I've seen lately in AT mobos are used PII capable variety running for around 50 bucks at Recycled Technology in Hamilton. Don't know the brand and doubt whether the bios on them would enable anything past 300 pII's/celerons to be used.

better to get a duron/motherboard combo (dirt cheap)
generic case (50 bucks for a nasty but serviceable one)
sd ram (get it while it's cheap)
cheap ps2 mouse and keyboard
use your existing cd and hardrive

BIFF
25-03-2003, 09:05 PM
I bought a soltek one for a box at work, it's rated to socket 370 PIII 1.2GHz
Can't remember the model number, but they do exist.

Chilling_Silence
25-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Yeah, when we got ours PC upgraded (Insurance covered power-spike) they gave us an AT mobo, its a Celeron 933.

I think it cost about $300 though.. I cant be too sure, but it may simply be cheaper to buy a new case too....

kiwibeat
25-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Its easier to dump the AT case and go for a atx case with a cheap duron system , 800 to 1 gighertz makes more sense and is just about as cheap

BIFF
27-03-2003, 11:24 AM
> Its easier to dump the AT case and go for a atx case
> with a cheap duron system , 800 to 1 gighertz makes
> more sense and is just about as cheap

Yes, but it is really cool to have a 1987 full tower case that looks like an XT but has a GHz+ processor, GF4 Ti video card and Ultra160 SCSI hidden away inside!
Everyone wrongly assumes it is a piece of crap. Add a USB mouse and Keyboard and all you miss out on is the power off at shutdown feature...

kirrie kiwi
27-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Go to google enter motherboards and you will get all the info you want