PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Not Turning On When I power up

fiveonefive
24-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Monitor Not Turning On When I power up yet when I press Restart again (just after ive pressed the on button and nothings happening) it seems to click on, the light is an amber colour as if in standby when I first switch on butt then changes to the green after I've pressed restart, its definitely isn't the video card or the monitor as ive tried heaps of them, im assuming someones had the same problem.

E.ric
25-03-2003, 12:53 AM
I take it the monitor displays anything, just that the LED changes color.

E.ric
25-03-2003, 12:54 AM
> I take it the monitor nwver displays anything, just that
> the LED changes color.
>
>

E.ric
25-03-2003, 12:56 AM
> > I take it the monitor never displays anything, just that
> > the LED changes color.
> >
> >
>
>

Thomas
25-03-2003, 07:18 AM
Well done E.ric,third time lucky.

fiveonefive
25-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Nope the monitor displays everything fine after you press restart once youve turned the power on

zip1nz
25-03-2003, 11:53 AM
I think this is something to do with the power plugs.
If your pc has a monitor power link in the back next to the power socket use this rather that plug the monitor into a seperate power point. You may need to change the type of cable you are using

godfather
25-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Nothing to do with power plugs.
Any monitor outlet for power on a PC (rare these days) is just a straight connection to the mains after the real power switch on the PC.

Question: how do you know your computer has even booted up, on the first attempt?

This sounds like a common problem where the Power_Good signal from the PSU isn't being recognised by the Computer motherboard. On a reset this usually seems to enable the computer to boot normally, hence you see the monitor come to life.

You are seeing the effect at the monitor end, but the cause is failure of the PC to boot without a reset following power up.

Usually caused by a motherboard requiring a Power_Good signal and a Power Supply not providing one.

Been there, done that.

fiveonefive
07-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Do you know of any way to fix this godfather, I think you've hit the nail right on the head.

godfather
07-04-2003, 10:01 PM
Apart from getting a PSU that is compatable with you Motherboard (or vice versa) its not easy.

I have to admit that I did a work-around once by making a timing circuit that reset the computer a couple of seconds after power-up.

Unless you are well versed in electronics, I would not recommend that option. Try another PSU first to eliminate that. Otherwise just hit reset a few seconds after you power-up, its a lot cheaper.