PDA

View Full Version : OT: Safety in Wildlife Parks

Billy T
24-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Advisory

The Wisconsin State Dept of Fish and Wildlife is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and golfers to take extra precautions and be on the alert for bears this summer.

They advise people to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert but not startle the bears unexpectedly.

They also advise you to carry pepper spray in case of an encounter with a bear.

People should be able to recognize the presence of bears in an area by their droppings:

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berry residue and possibly squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

From the Langa List series on stupid people in parks

Clueless
24-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Well then..

Lets all go down the park with pepper spray and check the raisons.......

???????

.Clueless

Billy T
24-03-2003, 05:30 PM
> check the raisons.......

?:| ?:|

Clueless
24-03-2003, 05:50 PM
>?:| ?:|
Yeah we'll just check the "raisons" and see if the got bits of of sqirrel hair or bells in them!

OK, maybe there are better things to do.

.Clueless

Billy T
24-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Oh......Raisins, I gotcha :D

Thought you wuz referrin to reasons.

I lost the plot :8}

Billy 8-{)

Jen C
24-03-2003, 06:42 PM
In the 1960's the Canadian National Parks Authorities had a bright idea. They decided to paint bear's derrieres with red paint in an effort to cope with what is termed "the bear menance" in Banff and Jasper National Parks. This was the procedure ....

When a bear is seen to become too friendly with the tourists, he is captured in the familiar bear barrel. At some time or other during his stay in the contraption he has one of his haunches painted red by means of a long-handled brush, and is then taken for a ride to one of the far reaches of the park and released. If he comes back to the settled portions of the park, he is captured again and has the OTHER side of his rumble seat decorated. He is once again given a ride into the hills back yonder. If he is a persistant type and comes back to civilization a third time, he is dispatched to the bear's happy hunting grounds ...." - July 1960.

An ad appeared shortly after this bright idea in the Crag and Canyon classifieds:

MALE HELP WANTED
SOBER, industrious man urgently required to paint rear ends of bears. Must be member of painter's union. Apply Box 25, Crag and Canyon

Believe it or not ... it's true :D

rugila
25-03-2003, 12:43 AM
I tried hard to find a bear but couldn't - maybe they didn't like me.
Someone said try the local rubbish dump (this was at Whistler - north of Vancouver).
There I found large steaming recent droppings full of plastic (old bags etc once with food in them).
Obviously very recent but bear still departed before I arrived.
Maybe they just don't like me.
Very safe. (: