PDA

View Full Version : Banned off a Public Forum

Pollly
24-03-2003, 12:58 AM
I have a question for you guys. My friend has been banned from a public forum. She can’t post on it anymore because she gets the message ‘You or someone from your network has been banned from posting messages to this board.’ She admits she got a bit frisky a week or so ago and posted a couple of funny comments which apparently irritated some of the other regulars. She was not using her usual name, and in fact used a different name for each posting because unlike PressF1 there was no registering required. Neither of us can understand how the Forum is able to trace back to her computer and we were wondering if there was anything she could do to circumnavigate the ban or have it lifted.

The US based forum is one about chinese pugs and seeing as we both own one, she is now quite p****d off at not being able to post questions there anymore. Any suggestions?

Also, how do they actually trace messages sent under different names? She has dial up so her IP address is not the same every time she logs on is it so how can they tell it's her? She can't post any messages under any name at all anymore.

A confused Pollly ?:|

Steve Askew
24-03-2003, 06:25 AM
Hi Polly, I may be wrong here, But I have a feeling that besides knowing your IP that some of these forum operators are able to also detect the username that you use to login to your ISP .
A friend had an identical problem not being able to get into a forum(not chinese pug forums) & in the end got into the forum again by using my dial-up account.
When he tried his own dial-up it was no go again.
Perhaps someone can shed some more light on this problem?

Cheers Steve

Danger
24-03-2003, 07:30 AM
Cookies?

Steve Askew
24-03-2003, 08:05 AM
wouldn't the cookies off the same computer using the same ISP just a different dial-up login name be the same?

Cheers Steve

E.ric
24-03-2003, 08:50 AM
What I have done if I wish to print a web page that has advertisements down each side and I think I might loose a cartridge of ink (priced like gold) over the advertisements is copy (ctrl-a then ctrl-c) from web page and paste (ctrl-v) into a HTML composer (you get a free one with Netscpe), then click on to the advertisements then press the delete key. save the HTML page on desk top and open with normal browser to print the page,

E.ric
24-03-2003, 08:53 AM
> What I have done,

You will never guess this posted a reply to the wrong thread, OK going away

promethius
24-03-2003, 03:55 PM
LMAO...this forum really needs delete/edit post functions...

Clueless
24-03-2003, 04:08 PM
> LMAO...this forum really needs delete/edit post functions...

We do have a preview/edit function, its just that most people, including myself are often too lazy to use it.

.Clueless

Graham L
24-03-2003, 04:15 PM
"a bit frisky", "a couple of funny comments which apparently irritated some of the other regulars". ;-)

"Funny comments" when seen by non-frisky people, sometimes appear to be offensive or personally abusive to other members of the forum. Such comments don't make for happy campers. If the administrator of a forum agrees with a complaint, especially the perpetrator has used a "different name" each time (showing an intention to be "anonymous"), a person can easily be banned from the forum.

When you post to a forum, there is an entry made in a log. It will contain your IP address. When you read the forum, even without logging in, your IP address is logged. The server has to have your IP address to be able to send you the forum pages.

If there is exception taken to something you have posted, it's easy enough to check the logs.

Your friend might wish to have a serious think about what the comments were, and how other people might interpret them, and consider an apology. There's no "right" to access to a "public forum". Whoever runs it has the right to refuse access to anyone who abuses it.

Biggles
24-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Just email the webmaster and ask for an explanation. Webmasters tend to look favourably on people who approach them openly, and where appropriate, apologise. They tend to react negatively to people who attempt to circumvent a ban by dubious means. Trust me on this . . . .

honeylaser
24-03-2003, 04:55 PM
I can't agree with the advice being offered here. I am guessing that the board your are referring to, though available for public use, it privately run and owned. Someone out there puts their time, effort and money into creating a nice place on the 'net for people to meet/greet/talk about dogs, and your friends comments have obviously annoyed the webmaster/owner/proprieter enough for them to ban her. It is completely within their rights to do so if they feel that is the right thing to do. I don't believe it is her right to try to gain access to the site and post again.

As Bruce said, however - you can always contact the webmaster and ask nicely. That way you might get let back quietly without irritating them further.

MTCW.

Baldy
24-03-2003, 05:57 PM
I am surprised that there are still forums out there that allow you to post messages without being registered.

Pollly, ask your friend to send a nice grovelly email to the webmaster and see if that helps. Otherwise they could try their bufoonery on another forum where its likely to be appreciated. Mind you, with all the dogs attacking innocent children and old folks these days - and with the talk of making all dogs wear a muzzel, I'm not surprised the doggie folk are a bit on the serious side

BALDY:-)

TiM©:*)
24-03-2003, 07:34 PM
Hahahahah, remember when I got banned? hahehheheahahahe

E.ric
24-03-2003, 11:33 PM
> > LMAO...this forum really needs delete/edit post
> functions...
>
> We do have a preview/edit function, its just that
> most people, including myself are often too lazy to
> use it.
>
> .Clueless

Not sure how that happened, I was very happy, until I posted then looked at subject, oh it's changed, no Eric you dick you clicked the wrong one

Greg S
25-03-2003, 12:53 AM
When they block you by your IP address, it's possible that they've banned a whole block of addresses, so it doesn't matter that yours changes - anyone offf that ISP will also be blocked.

If that's the case, you can try post to the site using a different ISP. Also it may be cookies, so go into IE and delete them, and all your temp Internet files too.

Elephant
25-03-2003, 12:57 AM
Hmmmm.

I'm still a member of FidoNet. Most Echos "Topics" have a Moderator. I moderate just two of these in New Zealand and have HAD to ban just two people over the last six years. In FidoNet you just have to cut off the feed to the person after giving enough warning that they are causing a definite problem. I don't do this lightly and it's only after advising the person to cease and desist privately by Netmail and also in the Echo later so other participants can see that I'm doing my job.

To get on FidoNet in the first instance you have to give someone your REAL name and phone number. You get a phone call back to ensure you are who you say you are. In most Echos aliases are not allowed.

How you do this on the Internet is beyond me. If I reformat my hard drive (thus no cookies) and create a new account on PressF1 for example how is the WebMaster to know? I'm sure we have all seen examples of people who disappear but someone soon pops up again with the same style of posts and /or spelling errors. :-)

Clueless
25-03-2003, 10:15 AM
E.ric,
O well, it happens, nevermind.

Back to the topic
Many of us have had to ban something as a result of being moderator of something. My own baby, CHCHGIG, a yahoo group that i set up with the idea that people could use to let each other know what's going on with gigs in our cute wee town has required moderation.

CHCHGIG was set up with the idea that there would be occasional posts bulk E-mailed to the group saying just <band> <venue> <time/date> and very little else.

I've had to ban one member for sending blatant abuse directed at another member, and reject the occasional post for going into that area of personal discussion that i feel the rest of the group would not want in their mailboxes.

When I've done this, i've always written to person concerned saying why i have rejected the post, and in the case of discussion, suggesting they contact the person(s)who may be interested directly.

Ultimately priority must go to what i, as soul moderator perceive as the desires of the group, and not the desires any one individual within it.

I think its the same with any group, forum, or chatroom.

.Clueless

Pollly
25-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Thank you everyone for the info and advice. I’ve passed a link to this thread on to my friend. The forum in question doesn't seem to have any place for humour at all in my experience and it’s not difficult to trigger off their censorship either. Even though it is a forum about dogs, they actually filter out the word ‘bitch’ when used in it’s correct context. That’s a bit like Press F1 filtering out the words ‘hard’ and ‘floppy’. :D

Having said that I can appreciate that a Moderator has the ultimate decision as to who is allowed to say what.

Dolby Digital
25-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Hello my fine Netherlandic friend. "How are you" (that was with a terrible put on European accent). What is the weather like there today (its was 23 degrees C here today - beautiful)

Sorry - OT

PoWa
25-03-2003, 10:15 PM
If they have banned your IP, get GhostSurf off the latest NZPCWorld cd...and set up some anonymous hubs(proxies)...that should stop the site from banning your original IP because you'll be logging in with the proxy server's IP.

Also a tip in future, if your gonna write something that could be offensive or might piss someone off, definitely connect to the server via a minimal of 3proxies/hubs. :)

Hope that helps..