PDA

View Full Version : OE

Trisha
23-03-2003, 02:37 PM
Having read in your magazine to upgrade my IE 5.5 in an attempt to plug the holes I downloaded the latest version. I was very angry to find that my personalised desktop settings were altered and no matter what I tried in the save settings options the desktop would not open as I had saved it and defaulted every time to how IE decided I should have it. I also didn't like the fact that this program decides which of any JPEG attachments could be unsafe . It actually blocked photos of my granddaughter without me seeing them.
I deleted this version and am now back with my old favourite set up. However, my question is:- can I download specific patches to plug the holes without actually changing my IE version. Thank you

Chilling_Silence
23-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Depending on your OS, try clicking the start menu and it'll be at the top, or got one level further, and it'll be at the top of the Programs Menu.

Otherwise, i think the URL is www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

HTH

Chilling_Silence

Jen C
23-03-2003, 08:55 PM
> I was very angry to find that my
> personalised desktop settings were altered and no
> matter what I tried in the save settings options the
> desktop would not open as I had saved it and
> defaulted every time to how IE decided I should have
> it.

Internet Explorer should not alter your desktop settings. Did you mean the layout of Outlook Express was altered? Could you be more specific with what settings were changed.

>I also didn't like the fact that this program
> decides which of any JPEG attachments could be unsafe
> . It actually blocked photos of my granddaughter
> without me seeing them.

That can be easily fixed. There is a setting called "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could be potentially a virus" which can be found under Tools > Options > Security which can be changed so that attachments can be opened with no problems. Microsoft made this change in IE6 to prevent viruses getting easy access to your computer .... unfortunately it does prevent other attachments from opening as you have discovered.

> I deleted this version and am now back with my old
> favourite set up. However, my question is:- can I
> download specific patches to plug the holes without
> actually changing my IE version. Thank you

If you want to have a more secure version of IE, I would try IE6 again (you can get it off the magazine cover disk to save downloading it again).

Adjust that setting I mentioned so that you can open your attachments, and if you still get problems with your personalised settings not sticking, make a post here for further advice.

Trisha
28-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Jen, Thanks for your comments. The attachment solution will be useful. However I definately do mean my desktop settings. I have two opened folders with the contents displayed on my screen which makes it easier for me to access the inserted icons. I have used this set-up for years and like it. However after the upgrade those folders were automatically closed and I had to manually open them after bootup. Believe me I spent hours trying all the save folder options that I could find to no avail. After deleting IE6 all was as it should be again.
Yours truly Trish

Susan B
28-03-2003, 09:38 AM
Internet Explorer is very closely integrated with Windows so I can quite believe that upgrading to IE 6 caused your desktop problems.

What version of Windows are you using? You do have other options available to you if you are wanting quick access to your shortcut icons in the two folders on your desktop.

Regarding plugging security holes you may be able to go to Microsoft's website and download security updates for IE 5.5. Try finding the "Windows Update" shortcut either in your Start menu somewhere or under Help in IE to take you to the update page. You may have to sniff around but I thought I saw somewhere the option for updating IE 5.5 the last time I was there.