PDA

View Full Version : Whats so bad about integrated video card?

sam m
23-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Hi all,
I have been considering buying a 2nd computer for quite a while but have got it stuck in my head that I should not buy a computer with an integrated video card because I wont be able to play online games. I am not a big gamer but is this true, if not then what will the impact be. I expect lesser quality but will there be stability problems as well.
This 2nd computer would be networked via jetstream.

Murray P
23-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Hi sam

Proble with integrated graphics is that it uses some of your system ram to function reducing that available for other tasks like running apps.

Having said that tho, I have just built a machine with integrated graphics based on the Nvidia Nforce chipset and it hums along very nicely. The comp hasn't been built as a gaming machine tho.

A good option would be to get a board that has an AGP slot as well as integrated graphics for later upgrade if you so desire.

Cheers

Murray P

Pheonix
23-03-2003, 12:17 PM
I totally agree with Murray P , It is horses for courses. If all you are going to do is email, text and office type stuff, onboard is fine. But if you want to run the latest game, and don't want pauses in the motion, it is essential for a fast video card. (nforce xcepted I hear). It is always advisable as Murray said, to get a motherboard with the facilty to add a card later if required. Much cheaper than having to buy another motherboard because your circumstances have changed. I don't need the high graphics, but my sons do, hence I have a fast AGP vid card.

sam m
23-03-2003, 01:03 PM
thanks for replies.
I guess my next step is to check out what type of motherboard it has before I buy so that upgrade later is a possibility. I am guessing that the company (PC Company) would have that info.

thanks
sam