PDA

View Full Version : FrontPage

GeoffW
22-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Hi

I have created a web site with a couple of pages in FrontPage. When viewed on a computer set to a low resolution you have to scroll sideways to see the whole page. Can anyone please tell me is there a way to have FrontPage adjust its pages to the browser width no matter what resolution it is viewed in with out having to re-write the web site with smaller frames.

Thank You

oldfart
22-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Hi GeoffW

Like most things on the Internet screen sizes and resolution are not standard.
You can either select the most common resolution in use; worldwide this is probably 800 × 600, now that I’ve said that I can see the dissenting posts coming in already. The other thing you can do is to find a way to detect the users resolution and providing a page to suit that resolution. This means that you need duplicate sites one low-resolution one high resolution.

I cannot remember how to detect the screen resolution with JavaScript but someone will come up with it.

Cheers—oldfart

Elephant
22-03-2003, 08:39 PM
Well here is a post agreeing with you. All computers I make are set up for 800 x 600 unless the monitor size is 17 inch or greater.

I always try for 800 x 600 or better.

Recently I set up a computer with a 1 Meg video card and 14 inch monitor to access the Internet. Needless to say some scrolling was involved.

-=JM=-
22-03-2003, 08:47 PM
You can use tables and tell it to go to 100% of the width.

Also I would code it so that it looks good on a 800*600 as there are quite a lot of people that still use that resolution. Not so many use 640*480.

Also try to be browser compatible. A lot of people don't use IE.