PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake or Windows first?

hamstar
22-03-2003, 12:45 PM
I have just bought a new computer and what do I install first. Windows 98se of mandrake linux 9?

Pheonix
22-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Is the drive partitioned? You cannot have both linux and windows on the same partition, they don't get along. If the drive is partitioned, load win98 first, then linux. Linux will nicely install a boot loader for you so when you start your PC, it will give you a choice of which operating system you want to boot up with.

hamstar
22-03-2003, 12:54 PM
The HDD is brand-new-not-outa-the-box.

Graham L
22-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Work out how much space you want for Windows. Then add a bit. :D Use the Windows installation CD to make a partition of that size and install Windows. Leave the rest of the disk unallocated: the Linux installation will find it and partition it for you. It will also provide a boot manager, but make the emergency boot disks for both systems.

PoWa
22-03-2003, 04:03 PM
I have found that installing Windows first always works better, because then linux installs a good bootloader.

If you say installed Linux first, and then WindowsXP, XP deletes the bootloader, so you can't even boot linux without a boot disk! Well thats what I've found anyway ;)

hamstar
22-03-2003, 06:57 PM
When I try to install Windows 98se it comes up with an error "Windows needs 702435... bytes available.

Any ideas ?:|

Pheonix
22-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Have you partitioned? Did you format both partitions? If you have a win98 boot disk or other win boot, then boot off that and enter the command FDISK then on the menu that comes up, View partitions and make sure the c: has an A to show it is active. Escape out.

hamstar
22-03-2003, 07:12 PM
how do you make the drive useable for windows. fdisk is a partition maker. what makes it fat32 or whatever. i don't want to split the 40gb drive into two but i want to use it for windows and mandrake 9.

hamstar
22-03-2003, 07:28 PM
* I look like a dick now *

the drive is partitioned. BUT. windows will not install as it says "Windows needs 7340023 bytes available" at the registry scan.

What do i do???

the drive partioned as 3% on an 80gb HDD.

However on a seperate system a 40gb HDD at 4.5% is getting the same problem.

Pheonix
22-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Sorry, but Linux and windows WILL NOT live together on the same partition. How you partition your drive is a decision you will make. Depends on the amount of space taken by each operating system and their programmes. Doesn't have to be 50/50. could be 20% linux and 80% windows. Another way, just to confuse you more, is that a third partition is made and when installing program's, they are put there. If you get too confused.. search on google for more info.

Pheonix
22-03-2003, 07:42 PM
Mmmmmm... semmed to have our timings out :) The FDISK command will allow you to see that your partitions are there and also you will find that the partition c: must have an A (for active) for the operating system to see it. Once you are happy that the sizes are big enough (3% of 80Gig is about 2.4Gig which is plenty for W98). Then reboot PC and then use command FORMAT C: to allow the WIn98 to see it as usable. You can now run the windows setup. I used to make a directory called WIN98 on c: drive and copy all files off the CD under the win98 directory to the folder on c drive and run the setup command from there. Lot faster install.

hamstar
22-03-2003, 09:57 PM
I've installed windows and everything. Needed MSDOS first. Now when i try to install mandrake it comes up with boot failure and this error.

Loading alt0/all.rdz...isolinux: Disk error 20, AX = 4280, drive 9F

try that one!

Rod J
23-03-2003, 01:06 AM
Sounds like a problem with the CD/CD drive to me. Try cleaning the disk. Can you read the disk from Windows OK?

hamstar
23-03-2003, 10:08 AM
it reads from all other discs properly but just gets this boot failure.

Pheonix
23-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Looks to me like a faulty linux disk. Can you get another copy? Maybe one of the Linux fans here will have one.

hamstar
23-03-2003, 01:45 PM
Do you know how I can get my 40gb hdd partition to full space, or even more than 2gb.

the standard starting partition was 2gb but now I can't change it or don't know how to.

Graham L
23-03-2003, 03:00 PM
You are running into one of the many disk size limits of FDISK. I thought a W98 FDISK would have handled it. You mention using MSDOS. Did you use a Dos6.x floppy one? Try using the FDISK on your W98 CD. It should be bootable.

Have a read of FAQ2 by Graham Petrie (FAQs button at top right hand corner of this page). That talks about multi booting different Windows but it should help you to do the partioning. You must have separate partitions for Windows and usable versions of Linux. Just make the Windows partition, and leave the rest unallocated. Linux will handle it. You must install the Windows first. It's not a matter of choice for you.

I've given a lot of links in FAQ80 which will help you to get started in Linux.

Your CD is probably faulty. Try cleaning it.