PDA

View Full Version : fisher price kids game wont play

beetle
22-03-2003, 01:00 AM
hi me here again
i have a fisher price game that i have installed and all went smooth, till we tried to play it and it comes up ...
file error executed : C/: programs ( etc) and i dont know why, or how to fix...
this game worked fine on the old computer and the kids love it (its a educational one no fighting) and now we cant play it. :-

any ideas?

XP home

beetle

Stumped Badly
22-03-2003, 01:19 AM
Some older games won't run on newer video cards, they simply weren't designed for the type of 3D cards we all have now.
I have several older games that won't run on any of my newer computers.
You could try the game manufacturers site for updates but I wouldn't hold my breath, as it probably isn't supported anymore.
It probably has issues with XP as well, try running it in Win95/98 compatibility mode.

beetle
22-03-2003, 01:30 AM
this game only came out in "98" so its not old! old!
ill try a compatibilty thing

makes all the screen colours and images look a bit odd when it trys to start

thanxs
beetle

Steve Askew
22-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Some of those kids games require 256 colours too.

cheers Steve

beetle
22-03-2003, 10:30 AM
ok i have tried everything, and gone back to original settings and still cant get it to go.

it says its compatible with windows 98 /95 / 3.1
& power macintosh

it says minimum system requirements are

486 / 66 MHz DOS - compatible computer (pentium recomended)
16 MB RAM
19 MB of hard disk space
quad- speed CD-ROM drive
256-colour SVGA video card
Windows-copmatible sound card
Windows 3.1 or 95 / 98
adobe acrobat reader

can some one explain this bit to me?
is there something in there that means it wont ever work on my new machine?

my three year old just doesnt understand why his favourite game will not work on the new puter!

beetle

Stumped Badly
22-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Certainly looks like a video card issue to me.
As Steve correctly says some games will only run in 256 colour.
My kids have a couple like that as well.
Problem is newer video cards don't gve 256 as an option.
Some games we have automatically change the screen size/colour & others require you to do it before starting the game
Here is the blurb from MSoft help, worth a try.

To switch your display to 256 colors

Some games and other software programs require that your monitor be set to 256 colors, or they run better in 256 colors. Many of those programs will switch your monitor to 256 colors automatically when you start the program. For those that don't, follow the steps below if you want to switch the display temporarily while the game or program is running.

On your desktop or on the Start menu, right-click the game or other program that you want to run in 256 colors, and then click Properties.
Click the Compatibility tab.
Select the Run in 256 colors check box.

Notes:
The screen will revert to your default color quality when you close the program.
Try switching to 256 colors if your software program shows the wrong color or the graphics redraw slowly.
If your software program appears in a small window in the center of your screen, you can increase its size by changing your screen resolution temporarily. Follow the procedure above, but in step 3 select the Run in 640x480 screen resolution check box. Your screen resolution will revert to its previous resolution when you close the program.
The Compatibility tab is available only for programs or games located on your computer's hard disk. It is not available if the program is stored on a floppy disk, compact disk, or a network.