PDA

View Full Version : To Partition a Disk and Back-Up

dcloud
22-03-2003, 12:16 AM
Hi all,

I've learnt my lesson after my hard disk failed!!(just upped and died 2 months after the warranty ended!typical!)

I have a new WD 80GB hard-drive and wonder whether it is a good idea to Partition it........and would also most definitely like to back regularly.......any thoughts on a good back utility.........the kind that does it each day automatically........

Thanks

kiwibeat
22-03-2003, 10:52 AM
I personally use Partition magic 7 plus Drive image 2002 does a good job and easy as well I recommend a 10 gig C: drive so that it is easy to restore and scan keep all data mp3s divx etc on the other partition plus the restore images welcome to contact me if you need any more help or advice do regular backups saves a lot of heart ache and data loss

Merlin
22-03-2003, 11:14 AM
The concept of backing up data is commendable.

The idea of partitioning and backing up partitions to the same physical drive is not.

Drive failure is, usually, not associated to partitions. Drive failure is, usually, associated to physical hard drives.

Continue with the concept and consider another physical drive to backup to.

Jen C
22-03-2003, 11:18 AM
Just something to keep in mind - if you store your backups (whether as an image or as files) on another partition but on the same hard drive, in the event of another hard drive failure all the data on the entire drive will be lost. (It may be retrievable via professional data recovery firms, but will be very $$).

To protect your data, it is best the backup or image files are stored on a separate source eg, a slave hard drive, CD/DVD's or ZIP.

Keeping your safeguards on a partition on the same drive will only be of use if the OS is corrupted and needs re-installing.

jontext88
22-03-2003, 03:58 PM
remember if you use win Xp pro it has good backup program build in.
however consider the these options.
partition your eighty gb hdd to 15gb=system/ 10gb=archive and the rest being data of 65gb.
use partition magic 8 and drive image 2002 (vers 6). both are easy and reliable.
image regulary your system drive on high compression to the archive drive to guard against non physical failure. could use xp bkup instead.

to guard against physical hdd failure, image your 'c' system drive semi regularly to two alternating generations of cdrw discs which drive image supports very well.

Billy T
22-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Expiry of the warranty doesn't end your consumer rights dcloud. You have the right to expect a normal life span from your HDD and the supplier should come good with either a new HDD or around 90% of the replacement cost as a minimum.

There has been recent action on this front via the Disputes Tribunal and it was discussed here on PF1 quite recently. Look at it another way, if you bought a car and the engine fell apart two months out of warranty you wouldn't just shrug your shoulders and say that's life, you would go back to the Dealer who sold it to you and request compensation.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

draftycloud
23-03-2003, 12:57 AM
Thanks for your help. It gives something to start with

draftycloud
23-03-2003, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the advice. I never ever thought of external storage!

Susan B
24-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Regarding partitioning your hard drive, the forum has a FAQ on partitioning (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=30458) that you may find useful.

Note: A link to the FAQs is at top right of this page.

draftycloud
26-03-2003, 02:54 AM
thanks Susan, the forum was very helpful

The Student
26-03-2003, 05:55 AM
Hi,

Sometimes just common sense, can outwit any good product out there.

Maybe consider an second hard drive? and use that as your backup storage there.

Partitioning is especially useful, if you want to keep your data organised.

We only learn from trial and error.

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2003, 08:39 AM
I personally almost never backup to CD-R unless Im expecting a crash or a format soon....

Those are probably the words of a fool, however, with over 10 gigs of stuff Id wanna backup, it'd just take too long on CD-R.

That's why I bought a couple of HDD's for that special purpose.

Ive never had a HDD go corrupt on me, but it has to happen to somebody, luckily just not me yet.

If you're doing large storage like I am (And Im going to follow through with this... hopefully within a month, maybe 3 at most...), then a DVD Writer might be on the cards.

Otherwise, you can pick up a CD-R/W for $99 Brand New! see ]url=http://www.pricespy.co.nz]Pricespy.co.nz[/url] and you can find the cheapest local vendor.

All up though, local backups are not really the way to go for security. Any company who backs up generally will do so off-site as well.

I do recommend that you dont do it to CD-R/W as they are known to be not quite as reliable, and for the cost, it's about a dollar or less for most CD-R's now, so the advantage of using a CD-R/W is diminishing!

Hope this helps ;-)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

E.ric
26-03-2003, 09:03 AM
> I personally use Partition magic 7 plus Drive image
> 2002 does a good job and easy as well I recommend a
> 10 gig C

Go 8 Gig or 16, 32? so you get the largest partition and the smallest cluster size.

-=JM=-
26-03-2003, 07:24 PM
>Those are probably the words of a fool, however, with over 10 gigs of stuff Id >wanna backup, it'd just take too long on CD-R.

You actually have over 10GB of actual data you would be seriously gutted if you lost. I've got that amount as well if you could mp3s/oggs that I can rerip or download again. Or freeware and shareware that I've downloaded of which there is usually a newer version out of anyway

kiwibeat
27-03-2003, 08:12 PM
I ALSO HAVE BACKED UP TO CDR PLUS ONTO A SEPERATE hdd, SO THIS FOOL AND HIS DATA WONT BE PARTED TO QUICKLY !!