PDA

View Full Version : How do i know when Jetstart starts?

Jester
20-03-2003, 09:23 PM
Today i received a call from a guy Telecom - they were going to connect Jetstart today - it was scheduled for Friday AM, would I mind if they did it today instead???? I was stoked....

... until I got home.

I rung Telecom around 5pm, and asked whether the job had been successful. They said that I had to ring my ISP to check. I rung Paradise, ensured I was all set up for Jetstart, then told them what Telecom said. They laughed. They said they know whether a connection is valid and operational by ringing Telecom. We tried connecting anyway .. no joy.

They rung Telecom while I waited, who took forever to come back with a "we can't tell, ring back in an hour".

I thanked the understanding american accent Paradise tech guy, and we decided I would ring Telecom later. I rung 123 and was told to ring Xtra. I rung Xtra and was told that because I was not with Xtra I had to check with the "Jetstream Team". I rung them and was told to contact 123 again to check.

Another lady at 123 said that she couldn't get into my account, so maybe someone was working on it now and it may be active within the hour. Ring back if not ....

7pm, I rung 123 again, this time got a lady who is either really helpfull or could hear me pulling out my hair at the roots. She said she couldn't access my account, and as this saga had gone on for 2 hours (and the kids wanted dinner lol), she would see whether her manager could get into the account and look.

Turns out that the installation hasn't been marked as completed. Try again in the morning they say.

So ..... apart from thanking anyone who is reading this for letting me get this off my chest, has anyone else experienced this, or, how were they told that is was "all systems go"?

J.
:D

Jen C
20-03-2003, 09:51 PM
I have just got off the phone booking my ADSL Jetstream connection with Telecom for next week, and I asked the guy the same question. I know what day I am booked on, but he could not tell me how I would be informed that the connection at the exchange was now active. Bit of a minor technicality!

So how do (did) you know? [Apart from plugging in the ADSL modem in a giving it a whirl] ?:|

wotz
20-03-2003, 09:53 PM
I have had the jetstream / xtra run around too. Seems Telecom thinks xtra is the only supplier of jetstream.

godfather
20-03-2003, 10:20 PM
My experience differed. I had my modem connected (about 2 days before) and it was indicating no Jetstream signal (naturally, as they had scheduled it )

Sure enough as soon as it was connected, the link light indicated a signal. Soon afterwards the Tech rang to confirm my connection was active, and said he knew my modem was connected as he could detect the connection being made.

flying_green_leprachaun
21-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Walkerwireless (http://www.walkerwireless.co.nz)

I jump on their bandwagon all the time, uncapped 256K always on connection, I organized a time for the installation, the guy came on time, attached a dish to the side of my house spent 10 mins tinkiering getting a good signal & bam... Broadband (well broadband for NZ anyway) the only time they have had an outage, they called & let me know 2 days in advance. The Network Tech support is professional & Prompt. (as for my ISP if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all)

the only thing is its a little expensive @ $130 a month ish

Jester
21-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the replies, I am pleased to announce I am now connected. Lessons learnt:

1. Telecom don't tell you whether it was successfull
2. They wont help out your non-Telecom ISP anything
3. If they bring forward the install date - they wont let anyone actually within Telecom know, so it actually doesn't work till the original install day.
4. I love the speed !!

Take care
J.
:D