PDA

View Full Version : HardDrive not work (not alowing boot)

sc0ut
19-03-2003, 11:48 PM
ok heres my latest problem
My 40GB Maxtor HD (which used to run in my comp) was lent to a friend.
He formatted it (all ok)
He used it (all ok)
but between his house and my house for some reason it wont detect the Hard Drive in Bios
the jumpers are correct (it has no OS on it and it is Slave)
it says

Master: Maxtir 80GB Hard Disk
Slave: | |||| ||||

WHAT IS " ||| " ????????
is it broken
PS i'd rather not format it cos i want the files off it

godfather
20-03-2003, 12:17 AM
You have it set as "slave", but is it on the "master" connector (end connector on the spare IDE cable)?

If so, its confused, so either plug it into the "slave" IDE connector (the one about 100mm befor the end connector, or set it as Master if plugged into the end connector on the spare IDE cable.

Each IDE port has 1 "master" and one "slave"

Kame
20-03-2003, 12:22 AM
I don't quite understand the ||| ??? or what you mean by between houses?

Slave should be open (no shunt/jumpers on it) and Master should have a shunt on it. Could also set both to cable select but I prefer master/slave settings.

I would mess around with the bios in the hard drive section, hopefully it's got autodect but instead of choosing what I believe would be the default LBA choose Large or the other one which I always forget, Usually it's something I'd know when I'm in the bios changing those settings.

Rod J
20-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Yes, I agree with Kame. Try to autodetect the drive in the BIOS, because if your friend formatted the drive with a different BIOS setting than you have set in your PC, it will certainly cause problems.

sc0ut
20-03-2003, 02:03 AM
>I don't quite understand the ||| ???
this means in stead of it reading "40gb Mator ATA133 Hard Drive" it reads "|||||||||"

>or what you mean by between houses?
i let him transport it form my home (house) to his home (house) so he could put the drive in his computer

my comp has cable select, so i'm using that (i know it works cos i have been hot swapping my drives over before)

i'm glad to hear it may not be broken, i was thinking it would be

i update my BIOS and then try screwing around with it.
and i didn't know that it matted who formats a HD, and considering they are the same brand Mothe Board (diferent model)

Graham L
20-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Cable select works by having one wire in the cable cut after the first drive connector. Most drives have a CS option to use for that, rather than MAster/SLave.

If the drive worked before, why would you change the BIOS? That's just adding variables to the problem.

As for formatting the drive, if the BIOS can't find it, the OS can't format it. :D

Graham L
20-03-2003, 04:59 PM
Cable select works by having one wire in the cable cut after the first drive connector. Most drives have a CS option to use for that, rather than MAster/SLave.

If the drive worked before, why would you change the BIOS? That's just adding variables to the problem.

As for formatting the drive, if the BIOS can't find it, the OS can't format it. :D

This might double post; one of those things. :-(

Big John
21-03-2003, 03:20 AM
> You have it set as "slave", but is it on the "master"
> connector (end connector on the spare IDE cable)?
>
> If so, its confused, so either plug it into the
> "slave" IDE connector (the one about 100mm befor the
> end connector, or set it as Master if plugged into
> the end connector on the spare IDE cable.
>
> Each IDE port has 1 "master" and one "slave"

Yes but it does not matter where on the cable it is. It will work from both points. Maybe some old comps/drives did not but not these days.

That aint the problem

godfather
21-03-2003, 10:47 AM
Only last week when I put another HDD in (I use caddies for second HDD's) it showed up as $?$?$?$?$?$? (a slight variable on Sc0uts problem but remarkably similar).

I had it set to master when it already had a master on that IDE. Corrected it and all was fine.

sc0ut
21-03-2003, 11:31 AM
that is true
it worked before and the bios should be able to read it or at least detect it
i'll give it back to my friend and see if it works in his drive
If it is broken where in ChCh can i get it fixed? or evaluated on whether it is fixable

sc0ut
21-03-2003, 11:34 AM
>Only last week when I put another HDD in (I use caddies for second HDD's) it showed up as $?$?$?$?$?$? (a slight variable on Sc0uts problem but remarkably similar).

>I had it set to master when it already had a master on that IDE. Corrected it and all was fine.

just read that (didn't read in cronological order) i'll try setting 1 to master and 1 to slave without the IDE detect

Graham L
21-03-2003, 04:16 PM
If it uses CS (Cable Select), the place on the cable does matter.

bmason
21-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Check you haven't damaged the cable or any of the pins. And check the plugs haven't come apart, it happens if you've been yanking the cable out a lot.

If in doubt try another cable.

Dylan
21-03-2003, 05:17 PM
try running only the hdd on the IDE cable. Set it master and plug it into the end plug.

If not check all pins (make sure some haven't come off the IDE connecter and are stuck in the hdd).

Take the hdd back to your friends house and see if it works.

Graham L
21-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Let's get this straight. Sc0ut's first posting says "it is slave". That means it has no jumpers. Sc0ut says in second posting he is using cable select. The other drive works.

Am I right in thinking that the working drive has a jumper on J48? That is the CS location.
If it has a jumper on J50, that would make it the "MAster", and might work if it's the only drive on a CS cable, and is at the end of the cable.

Both drives should have jumper on J48 and no other jumper. The cable should be a CS cable (with one wire "missing" between the two connectors at the drive end.)

Big John
21-03-2003, 08:30 PM
Yep, Could be a faulty cable. A mate of mine had problems with his CDRom. Had two on the same cable and one would never work. I took the cable off and put my spare in and it was away.

The connector where the pins go in may have opened up a bit and not making a good connection.

I would say try the drive on another PC and if it works there then it is your cable that is the problem (or the PC)

sc0ut
22-03-2003, 12:21 PM
yea both were on j48
but i found the problem
my friend left the ide cable partly out of the drive (inside the caddy)
god dam what a bothe and it was so simple :p
sorry about that but these thinks happen