PDA

View Full Version : Inabllity to download or open *.pdf files online

frazer_noble
19-03-2003, 10:06 PM
If you, or anyone else has any comments or ideas please don't hesitate to answer, as I am pretty desperate.

The problem is that I obviously can not download of open *.pdf files, and every time I try I end up getting some page of gibberish (that pops up as a new window). Thanks

PS. I use Microsoft Internet Explorer, not netscape

wotz
19-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Make sure you have Adobe Acrobat Reader (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) installed.

Babe Ruth
19-03-2003, 10:11 PM
frazer_noble,

See your previous post Frazer_Noble1 (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=32780)

Babe.

Jim B
19-03-2003, 10:49 PM
Comments about downloading Acrobat are reasonable but you don't need it to download a pdf file so this does not explain why you can't do this.

Have you tried downloading a pdf file from another site.

In order to download PDF files from your internet browser, you must use "right mouse click" on the file you wish to obtain . You will then see a menu with an option that may say "Save as...", "Save location" or "Save Link". Choose this option by "left mouse clicking" on the link, and save the file to your computer harddrive.

Heather P
20-03-2003, 12:19 AM
Assuming you have Acrobat Reader installed the problem could be caused by one of a number of things:

1. Do all pdfs appear corrupted or just one or two?
2. If you save a pdf can you open it by clicking it in Windows Explorer?

If it's one or two, try re-downloading them. If problem persists email the website from where you get them from and ask if they are having problems too. (Note which file it is. I had a customer once who said "your pdfs won't download". I tried and they did. Made it hard to fault find!)

Also check which version of Reader you have. It could be time to update it.

We did have one customer who couldn't view pdfs directly through IE. The solution was to download to hard drive and open it by clicking in Windows Explorer. Our website host tech said that IE is made by Microsoft, Acrobat by Adobe. There are times when the two just won't work together. The answer there is either do it the slightly more complicated way or reinstall both.

Graham L
20-03-2003, 05:04 PM
If you get "gibberish", you haven't got the Acrobat reader properly installed. The most problem PDF is just seeing a blank window with "Done" down in the bottom corner. If you get gibberish, your security settings aren't stopping you getting the PDF file (PDF files are "executable", so are potential security problems).