PDA

View Full Version : Operating System: 98 to XP

Sami
19-03-2003, 04:32 PM
I'm running Win 98SE, and now thinking of upgrading to XP. But, I've heard that some third party software is likely to be rejected by XP. I read somewhere, possibly here, that my HP Laserjet 5L will not function with XP.

Does anyone have experience with this problem and can perhaps name common software that is likely to be incompatible.

I know that some will suggest that if Win 98 serves OK, then stick with it. I do have a good reason for wanting to become familiar with XP, but am not inclined to replace or upgrade a lot of third party software.

Many thanks...

John H
19-03-2003, 04:50 PM
I changed over to XP Pro when it first came out, and apart from I couple of "early adopter" problems, I haven't found any difficulties with third party software.

I found a problem with a Canon scanner initially, and I think a card reader driver, but they have been sorted - the manufacturers "caught up".

I have a HP Laserjet 2100M, and there are no problems there - I did not even need to use the HP installation CD, as the drivers were automatically installed by Win XP.

Suggest you get on to the HP website and see if there is a driver there for your model.

I find XP much more stable than W98SE.

John

Babe Ruth
19-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Sami, Just a suggestion...
To check your system for Windows XP compatibility, ensure you are connected to the internet. Insert the Windows XP cd in the drive and click the "Check System Compatibility" menu item from the main menu of the Setup program. (Assuming you have a copy of the cd or have at least borrowed the cd from a friend FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF TESTING ONLY). When you have selected the "Check System Compatibility", on the next menu select the "Check my System Automatically" option and when that starts select the "Yes, download the updated Setup files" option and click Next ... just follow the prompts and finally you will get a report on your system and any issues (or incompatibilities) and suggested remedies, if you want to install/upgrade to Windows XP.

Babe.

John H
19-03-2003, 04:57 PM
HO appear to have an XP driver. Go to:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/eng/software_drivers.htm

Enter your printer model number in the search box and it will take you to the page that has drivers for a variety of OSs.

John

John H
19-03-2003, 05:13 PM
Sorry, slip of the finger. Should have been "HP appear to have an XP driver".

Don't know why the last sentence became bold, and couldn't find a way of getting rid of it in preview.

John

sgtchopper
19-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Sami

I would absolutely agree with the suggestion to run the campatibility test. However while not all apps and hardware are guarenteed to work "out of the box" there are a few tricks that you can perform. The most common tweak that is performed is to run a failed app in compatibility mode i.e. right click a created icon and choose properties. You will find a tab called Compatibility, here you can choose to run an application under a different OS i.e. XP emulates the OS requested. The compatibility database is getting updated by MS every 6 months or so. Hope this helps some.

Sami
19-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Many thanks to you all, that's a veritable encyclopedia of information and I shall approach the change with a great deal more confidence.

Do I need to reformat the HDD before installing XP, or can I install over the top. I have three partitions with the OS in C: and data in the others. So I guess I could probably just format the primary partition if necessary.

Thanks...

Scouse
19-03-2003, 05:50 PM
Sami
Please keep us informed of progress.
I am probably a couple of months behind you in my planning to make a similar change. Like you I have already learned much from the few responses to your initial posting. Scouse. :D

godfather
19-03-2003, 06:32 PM
I found the "compatability report" entirely accurate.
It told me my PCI modem wouldnt work, and it was right. Not with any driver.

My HP 2100 works flawlessly. My HP PSC750 only had basic functionality until HP released the XP drivers, now its fine.

Have had no compatability problems with any applications, the main advantage is that when applications die or lock-up (as they do under any OS) XP will let them die without taking the OS with it.

Just make sure you have the hardware to run it, I find it runs fine on a 600 MHz Celeron, and quite useable on 128 Meg of RAM, but better on 192 or 256. This is for general business apps.

Presently using it on a 2 GHz P4, 667 MHz P3, an a couple of 600 MHz celerons.

Big John
19-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Format the drive and start from scratch. Too many horror stories from people who have upgraded or just installed over the top.

With a clean slat you know what you are getting.

I have an HP Laserjet 5P and no problems at all. XP has a driver for it so you don't need one from HP themselves.

Chilling_Silence
19-03-2003, 08:08 PM
If its not to much trouble, I'd agree with Big John, things are so much smoother with clean installs :-)

Jester
19-03-2003, 09:04 PM
Firstly I would agree with Chilling Silence agreeing with Big John. I installed P over Win98SE, and at first all was sweet then started to get error messages on start up. I finally took the plunge, saved all I could on another hard drive, reformatted and re-installed, and have not had any problems.

The hardware incompatibilty list was correct in identifying problems I would have with drivers, however, I was able to find drivers on-line through Google in no time.

I am impressed with how XP has drivers pre-installed. The printer was operational straight away when I changed, and a scanner I installed recently also worked with no input from me, it detected it and installed drivers on its own.

Lastly, as mentioned earlier, the ability to close a non responding program without crashing the whole PC is the biggest joy in using XP.

J
:D

sgtchopper
26-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Would definitely recommend doing a fresh install. When running the setup you do get the option to install to existing partitions etc. You can also delete all existing partitions and start from scratch (this is a standard option for Windows NT, 2K and XP). I did note that you said you had 3 partitions, are these all on the same HDD? In either case I would recommend you perform a full back up of your data otherwise you could experience the most common of all horror stories!