PDA

View Full Version : VXD????

hwj2
18-03-2003, 10:50 PM
hi guys and gals,

Just downloaded a file that is supposed to be an installation file but turned out to be a weird thing that has .vxd at the end of it. Under properties it says it is a virtual device driver file. How in the hell do I unlock this and install it?

any help would be appreciated.
thanks

godfather
18-03-2003, 11:25 PM
If you supply a bit more info, such as why you downloaded it, what operating system etc it would help.

A VXD, or virtual device driver, is a specific type of Windows device driver that has direct access to the operating system's core, so you really need to know what you are doing.

You dont "install" it by clicking on it, indeed you dont do anything unless you are sure its designed for your operating system, and is needed for a specific reason.
In that case, depending on what its actually for will determine where you copy it to. (and which version of Windows you are using)

Murray P
18-03-2003, 11:26 PM
Hi

Its used by your Operating System to run applications/hardware. What were you installing, if you don't mind. It should have been installed by your programm/hardware installer into the windows (system, usually)folder or in a programm folder.

HTH

Murray P

hwj2
19-03-2003, 11:19 AM
I am running win 98 on a pentium III 533- its old I know but it does the job. Any ways I was downloading the counterstrike update cs10041005 from the officail cs page but it was taking way to much time, so I downloaded it from kazza. I didnt however know that it was a vxd file. so what exactly are much options guys?

neilj
19-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Is it the retail version of CS (I assume it is by the file name) and do you live in NZ? If it is and you do then download it from here (http://downloads.gameplanet.co.nz/cat.dyn/Half-Life/Official/Counter-Strike_Retail/).
Should be an .exe and not a .vxd
It is an 18meg file so will take a while on 56K modem. Would send you a copy by email but I'm sure both our ISPs would disallow :D