PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream adsl modems query

Jester
18-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Hi

I have signed up for Jetstream starter and need to get an adsl modem.

I see Dick Smith have the D-LINK USB ADSL Modem - DSL200 here (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3e76b5f9077fe5aa2740c0a87f990785/Product/View/XH7954) for $187.00 and Pricespy puts this as the best price.

Is this a good modem? Any other suggestions? I would like to keep the price to below $200.00. I have managed to convince HWMBO that adsl is the way to go rather than connecting up a second line (and for the same price).

I currently have a home network (3 PC's linked with cat 5 cable and a Netgear 10/100 hub). Will I be able to keep the set up as is using the adsl modem? I understand that using a adsl router or hub would be a better option but it comes down to price!

I look forward to any comments.

J
:D

Kame
18-03-2003, 07:14 PM
I'd avoid USB modems and go for Ethernet Router if you are looking for External. The problem I can see is that if you want to use the USB modem will require setting up an ICS Proxy, making sure that the computer with the USB modem attached is on when trying to access the net.

The router would make it simpler and you'll only be looking at $20 extra for an ethernet router.

Jester
18-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Thanks Kame!

For me its not a biggie if the main PC has to be on when the other access the net, as it helps to monitor the kids etc. The ICS is all set up and operating well (and to be honest - everytime i try to make it 'better', I mess something up and have to redo it again - the joys of networking)

I will look at router option also, though

Cheers

J.

Andrew B
18-03-2003, 07:58 PM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29231#116680

The above links to a thread a while ago when I asked a similar question.
It might help you.

Andrew

Big John
18-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Go for the Dynalink RTA220. It has both a LAN connection and a USB connection for when you want to use it just on one PC by itself. The best of both worlds

Jester
18-03-2003, 09:23 PM
Thanks Andrew.

I see you are in Tauranga too - and sound to have had the same questions I have.

How did you get on - did you go ahead with it, and if so what type of modem/router did you get, and for what price? This isn't the Spanish Inquisition by the way - but then again no one expects that!

I see the benefits with your proposal Big John, and Pricespy lists the cheapest at $280.00 from QMB ... about $80.00 more than I can spend :(

Thanks

J
:D