PDA

View Full Version : Annoying screeching sound, anyone got any tips?

DanielS
18-03-2003, 06:24 PM
My PC starts making a really annoying screeching sound after it has been on for a few hours. Could it be because the PC is quite, not very, but quite warm after that time?

As with many people, my PC is sitting right next to me and I am constantly on it, so this annoying screeching noise really drives me mad after a while :_l

can anyone help me?

thanks

daniel

godfather
18-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Is it from one of the fans, with a failing bearing when it gets warm?

Try to pin down just where the noise is eminating from within the PC.

Can you remove a side panel to track it down?

andy
18-03-2003, 06:50 PM
When this happens in my car, I turn the radio up :-)
(sorry - not very helpful. You really need to check the fans urgently)

superOman
18-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Hi
It could be:
case fan
cpu fan
graphics card fan
or power supply fan

To test take off case cover
get a thin bit of plastic like a twisty tie
Put it between the blades of the fan for just a second to stop them

If the noise stops you have found the right problem
case,cpu and graphics card fans are easy to replace, just go to dick smiths to get one. Power supply however is sealed and if you can take it apart it is pretty hard to replace the fan. Just easier to buy a new one.

E.ric
19-03-2003, 10:09 PM
> When this happens in my car, I turn the radio up :-)
> (sorry - not very helpful. You really need to check
> the fans urgently)

I once had a Sokda, and always had the radio going,

One day on the way home from work, water sprayed from the front grill over the bonnet onto the window, I first thought was "Oh it has never done that before"

Then I went to a Toyota, and people stopped tooting at me,

Stumped Badly
19-03-2003, 11:30 PM
"Power supply however is sealed and if you can take it apart it is pretty hard to replace the fan. Just easier to buy a new one."

NOT advisable unless you know what you are doing.
The power supply can hold a charge for quite some time after disconnection.
If you know how to discharge it the fans are quite easy to replace.
It is more lokely to be CPU or Graphics card though, as the others have said.

Kame
20-03-2003, 12:03 AM
You could just try tightening the screws that hold the power supply. This could stop the noise, but this noise is more of a vibrating sound. I've only come across it a few times in my profession but it doesn't hurt. Maybe more screws need tightening as they can come loose, but don't tighten too hard if you are tightening the motherboard.

As for replacing the fan in a power supply. It's pretty straight forward and not that complicated at all, as long as you can find another fan that's the same and uses the same connection or else you could do "dodgy" wiring (depends on how well you are with electronics). Much easier than replacing a capicitor on there. It's not advisable to open up the power supply though as you can seriously shock yourself.

If you can determine where the sound is originating from it'd be easier to pinpoint the problem. I'd suggest doing this first!

Kame
20-03-2003, 12:06 AM
Another thing just popped into my head. Monitors can cause a type of screeching noise I guess that's what you'd call the sound, when the cable on the back of the monitor is loose. Usually just getting it back in the right place fixes it but it could come loose again.

Hugh Jarse
22-03-2003, 07:59 PM
foam earplugs, nz safety ltd.
Hugh

robsonde
22-03-2003, 11:08 PM
I cant remember the full story but i did see a PC that made noise from the PC speaker whe it ran windows explorer. it sounded a bit like a fan giving up but it was a software thing......

sorry but i cant remember the fix.

h3blade
22-03-2003, 11:16 PM
i had the same problem...
coz my pc is on for 24 hours...The annoying sound always happens 2-3 times everyday..and i finally found the source ------the power supply,,
well,,,very easy to replace the power supply fan,but hard to fine a right one for it! simple get a new or second hand right power supply