Problem=Windows cannot detect scanner.
When go to Device Manager, there is no scanner
detected. However, when go to Device Manager in "Safe Mode"
the scanner is detected. Futhermore, if set "Onboard Parallel Port" in the
Bios to 278/IRQ5, video card is crashed and the Windows is restarted in
"Safe Mode"
If set to IRQ7, it is fine with the video card, but the scanner is not
detected only in "safe mode"

I am using a mouse in serial port. Could this be interfering with parallel port of the scanner. Thanks .

Graham L
18-03-2003, 03:56 PM
The serial port can't affect the parallel port. (Famous Last Words :D). I assume the serial port is using the default IRQ 4 or 3. IRQ 5 usually conflicts with Sound Blaster cards. The scanner will be fussy about the prionter port mode: SPP, ECP, etc. That's as far as ESP can take me. ;-)

We really need more information: scanner make and model, video card, OS, ...

lightfoot
18-03-2003, 04:41 PM
I am using windows 98 se, asus video, Acer scanner.

I guess is there is a conflict somewhere. How do I go about finding and resolving it. I am tempted to do a clean install, but not before other options have been explored hopefully with some help from you those in the know.

What is the reason that it is not detected in normal mode, but only in safe mode. Conflict in driver? Thanks.

Graham L
18-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Safe mode does not install most drivers. Try the startup mode which lets you decide which drivers get loaded. The culprit is quite likely to be the video one. I'm not sure how you will geta round that, if so.

Does the scanner work when it does get detected?

We need some experts here. I like SCSI scanners. :D

Graham L
18-03-2003, 04:59 PM
Safe mode does not install most drivers. Try the startup mode which lets you decide which drivers get loaded. The culprit is quite likely to be the video one. I'm not sure how you will get around that, if so.

Does the scanner work when it does get detected?

We need some experts here. I like SCSI scanners. :D

Terry Porritt
18-03-2003, 05:08 PM
I assume you are using a parallel port scanner, in which case Windows wont detect it. Its the Twain utilities that detects and connects the scanner. The scanner wont "normally" even appear in Device Manager, not , that is, unless things have radically changed since I bought mine a few years ago.

How it shows up in Safe Mode is a complete mystery.

LPT1 parallel port I/O address is normally 378 with an IRQ7 which in fact is probably not used anyway. The port needs to be set to EPP in the BIOS for a scanner to work.

lightfoot
19-03-2003, 06:30 PM
I have set Bios to EPP, 378, IQR 7 , BUT still no go.

When started up the propram said "finding scanner", then it takes a long time but could not find it. I do ctrl + Alt + Del and it said "Msgsrv32 not responding".

Anyway of knowing what conflict there is.

Terry Porritt
19-03-2003, 08:17 PM
It may pay you to uninstall the scanner software then re-install.

You could also try disabling all programs in Start Up in msconfig except System Tray, check to see if you still get msgsrv32 not responding, and then add them bask one by one to see if the error occurs. You may then find which program is causing the problem. I tend to suspect it is a scanner/twain driver that is wonky though.

There is some general info on msgsrv32 here:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000450.htm

lightfoot
19-03-2003, 08:21 PM
I have tried uninstall and reinstall a few times to no avail. Thanks.

Terry Porritt
19-03-2003, 10:09 PM
This is a difficult one. Do you have a printer connected to the parallel port , and if so does that work ok?

You could also try restoring lpt.vxd file to c:\windows\system from Base6.cab on the 98SE CD using System File Checker, just in case that port driver is corrupted, but it would also be a good idea anyway to run System File Checker to see if there are any corrupted system files.

lightfoot
20-03-2003, 10:10 AM
I have run System File Checker and it corrected a setup.dll. Then I reinstall the scanner driver to again to no avail. No I don't have printer connected. Thanks.

Terry Porritt
20-03-2003, 11:13 AM
I am at a loss, maybe someone can suggest something. If you have a printer, does that work on the port? As that would be a test to check that the port is actually working.

exLL
20-03-2003, 09:51 PM
I have an Acer scanner and Win 98. I was told to always turn on the scanner before I turn on the computer. I guess you knew that but thought it wouldn't hurt to post it.

cheers:)

lightfoot
21-03-2003, 09:15 AM
No, printer to try. Thanks You.

And yes the scanner is turned on before the computer is started. Thanks.

Should I just reinstall windows.