PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express : Otgoing Attachments

tkelly
17-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Virtually all outgoing emails with larger attachments (>100Kb) seem to stall part-way through sending. They seem to eventually go after several disconnect / reconnect cycles. I'm using OE6 with XP on a dial-up 57.6kps connection to Paradise ... is this likely to be an OE problem (have tried several suggestions made by Paradise, but none have worked)
Any ideas? ... thanks

Jen C
17-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Could you tell us the things that you have already tried (but didn't work) so that no one doubles up on suggestions.

Also, where are you getting your dial up connection speed from?

Jen

tkelly
17-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Have tried ...
- adjusting modem speed
- re-booting PC
- dis-abling Norton AV
- tried pinging a message to Paradise to test the line (OK)
- got Telecom to check phone line (OK).
Also, I have no problems at all with incoming emails, irrespective of attachment sizes. Outgoing text-only emails are OK ... I suspect the only ones causing problems may be Word documents containing graphics. Can circumvent the problem using web-mail, but it's not exactly convenient. The modem speed is the default set for my modem.
Cheers
Tim Kelly

Jim B
17-03-2003, 09:27 PM
Upload speeds are a lot slower than download speeds which is probably why you do not have any problem receiving mail.
The server may be timing out due to these slower upload speeds when sending attachments.
Try increasing the server timeout setting slightly.
Tools/Accounts/Properties/Advanced

tkelly
18-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Hi

Have tried increasing the 'timeout' to 2 mins, but it makes no difference. I find if I try to send the attachment several times in a row it won't work, but leaving it for maybe an hour, it will then go through OK - does this help diagnose the problem (perhaps pointing to my ISP?)

Thanks

Jim B
18-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Have you been able to confirm it is only word documents that have this problem.
Try attaching a jpeg file and see if that goes OK

Also are you attaching the document from OE or are you sending it direct from Word.

Gordon.
18-03-2003, 10:50 AM
As a carry on from what Jim said, if it is only Word, if you are sending directly from Word try saving the document first and then attach to the email as a attachment. If you are already attaching then try sending direct from word or maybe from WindowsExplorer > Send To > Mail.

Are you running a Firewall by any chance such as ZoneAlarm though this should not be the problem if it won't send now but will in a hours time.

tkelly
18-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Hi Gordon
Have tried what you suggested, but no luck. Am not running a firewall of any description. Paradise have advised me that this is a common problem with Outlook Express and the only solution is to use web-mail - is this true? If it is, I'm going to find another e-mail package to use instead!
Cheers
Tim

Susan B
18-03-2003, 05:48 PM
> Paradise have advised me that this is a common problem with Outlook Express and the only solution is to use web-mail - is this true?

That is utter rot!! I send large (>150kb) attachments all the time with OE with the only problem being sometimes the recipient's mailbox is too full to receive them. Sent several 1.5MB attachments yesterday, one after the other, without even a whisper of protest.

There is either something wrong with your Outlook Express/computer or there is something wrong with Paradise.

Jim B
18-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Agree with Susan, if Paradise are telling you it is common with OE than they are obviously aware that it is happening to a lot of their customers which points to a problem with the Paradise SMTP server.

OE does have its problems but the frequency of yours is abnormal.
Using another email program such as Eudora may work better, not because OE is faulty but because it may be less susceptible to any problems the Paradise mail server is having.

joe90ak
18-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi Tkelly and others. This won't be too helpful, but I have exactly the same problem. WinXP 56k modem with Paradise and OE6. I have NEVER been able to send any attachments, jpegs or otherwise. Stalls the same as yours (although I haven't left it going for an hour to try and send). Paradise gave me the same story... problem with OE, NOT Paradise. I tried installing another e-mail client (Eudora), but WinXP wouldn't let me so I gave up. I can send any size attachment via webmail (hotmail) no problem.

Before I had new comp with WinXP I had comp with Win98 and the same version of OE6 on Paradise dial-up with no problems, so maybe Paradise are sort of correct about it not being their end.

I tried everything anyone could suggest including timeouts, different users etc with no joy. I also had big problems connecting to Paradise and their only suggestion was that the V92 modem was 'too advanced for their system'... their words not mine. Upgraded modem drivers and far fewer probs connecting, but didn't solve the no-go attachments.

Hope it gives you food for thought. I posted same problem here months ago with no solution... will be very interested if anyone comes up with one now

Joe

Susan B
18-03-2003, 08:57 PM
> I tried installing another e-mail client (Eudora), but WinXP wouldn't let me so I gave up.

Very strange. I have Win XP Home and have been running Eudora for a quite a few weeks now, with no problems whatsoever. It installed very easily so I wonder why yours would not?

My modem is an external Dynalink 1456VQE and I am not with Paradise.

joe90ak
18-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Hi Susan

From memory (it was a few months ago I tried) I got the error message 'Unable to locate port such'n'such'. Gave up in disgust and now load jpegs from my great new Fuji S602 onto CD... cart them to the office, stick 'em in the little cup-holder tray in front of the box and send them by jetstream (using OE6!)

BTW, I've been with Paradise for years... service has definately slipped since they 'merged' with Telstra Clear, can't get any sense out of their help desk staff unless it's really basic. (which is no good as I think I already know the basic stuff!)

Joe

Gordon.
19-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Not on topic but related to paradise, some weeks ago now I was sending work related documents and images back to a kiwi contact who was with Paradise, all of the messages arrived ok but minus the attachments.

When he complained to Paradise Helpdesk the reply was that Paradise will not accept attachments bigger than, cannot remember the exact size but it was under 500k and therefore those attachments would get stripped out.

Yes, I know, you have not heard something this silly before either.

That "problem of oversize attachments" does appear to have come right though now as all attachments are being delivered.

Suppose it is the usual story, the fault is never at this end.

TonyF
19-03-2003, 12:38 PM
>
> That "problem of oversize attachments" does appear to
> have come right though now as all attachments are
> being delivered.

I'm on Paradise, and I get large files OK from another Paradise user.

Susan B
19-03-2003, 01:24 PM
> I'm on Paradise, and I get large files OK from another Paradise user.

Yep, I have just remembered that someone who I get email attachments larger than 200KB from is with Paradise. Never had any problems receiving them and never heard of any problems with them being sent. Both of us are using Eudora though but I doubt that would make any difference.

Real tricky problem, this one. Maybe you should do a reformat?
(just kidding! :p :D)

Thomas
19-03-2003, 03:47 PM
>>cart them to the office, stick 'em in the little cup-holder tray in front of the box and send them by jetstream (using OE6!)

We are all getting something out of this post,now have coffee in tray,wonered what that was for,thanks joe90ak;)

joe90ak
20-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Yep Thomas

Did try pouring the caffeine in the other little slot but didn't make the computer go faster!.

Anyone have any other ideas to help us attachmentless unfortunates?

Joe

Jen C
20-03-2003, 06:10 PM
You shouldn't have to do this normally, but it may work as an interim measure .....

Go to Tools > Accounts > Properties button > Advanced tab. Put a tick beside "Sending - Break apart messages larger than" and then select say 80KB. Click apply.

Test it out by sending yourself an email with one of the problem attachments. Note, that when you receive the email(s) they will arrive as [1/3], [2/3] & [3/3] for example. When the last email arrives OE will re-assemble the group into one complete email.

Does this make any improvement?