PDA

View Full Version : scanner not working

beetle
16-03-2003, 05:31 PM
ok me again,
my sister has bought a HP computer and printer, scanner set.
everything works fine, but the scanner
HP scanjet, 2300 ? i think ? all seems fine till you want to scan something but the light which is on does not move up the scanner or anything. just sorta makes a working sound then doesnt do anything and on screen computer thinks its finished and shows you a picture of nothing.
will this damage the scanner?
why does it do this? is it packaged for safetey reasons so its locked ? i have checked for this all over.
the young20 somthing adult who put it together (sigh) disregarded all instructions while putting together and threw most of them out, so have not had much sucess in looking for info on this, and i dont know my way round her computer (she no's heaps less than me! if thats at all possible?)
went through the basic search things but not certain what this is called to find suitable info.

so any ideas would be good.
i had to reset her email address for her the other son has locked her out with a pass word. (he's 16 and thinks he knows it all, and i think he knows nothing) so between the 2 of them have stuffed up the system good.

HP computer
scanjet 2300 scanner
with XP home

Help somebody

Billy T
16-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Have a look on the back of the scanner beetle. Some HP models do have a physical transit lock.

Operating it with the lock on could damage it unfortunately so take a look there first. It might also be on the bottom.

Pity smarty-pants threw out the instructions. Obviously the young 20 something doesn't know about warranty exclusions!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
16-03-2003, 05:52 PM
And look Here (http://www.hp.com/cposupport/scanners/support_doc/bps01057.html) for HP's advice.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Gordon.
16-03-2003, 05:55 PM
It almost sounds like your scanner lock button is still locked though could be other things.

Scanners usually come with a lock tab or key slide when packaged and you need to unlock it to get anything to work. It will be mounted somewhere on the scanner itself, have a look all around it and underneath as well, may not be the easiest thing to locate but when you do locate it, might have a icon of a locked/unlocked padlock, put to the oppsite position and see if that helps.

beetle
16-03-2003, 06:10 PM
ok thanxs guys have passed that info on and will check in with her to see if fixed and ill let you know.

beetle

beetle
17-03-2003, 05:04 PM
it works!

thanks for the help, i had an idea it might be that but as didnt no the machine didnt want to risk fiddling with something for 1 dint know about and 2 wasnt mine!

beetle

Billy T
17-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Yippeee, go beetle B-)

Stick with F1 kiddo and you will be a geek in no time at.;)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

beetle
17-03-2003, 05:50 PM
i take that as high praise and ill be back to fight another day.... so to speak..

i couldnt have done this without your help, and yes i could see a bit more information seeping in the cracks of the brain so theres hope yet...
a geek ? sounds a bit prestigious for me... ill settle for beetle at moment....lol
but you never no.......

thank you all again

beetle