PDA

View Full Version : Website Feedback

agent
16-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Two versions of one site. Which one do you prefer?
http://cyberchuck.orcon.net.nz/StudentNet/index1.html
http://cyberchuck.orcon.net.nz/StudentNet/index2.html

Just a reminder that the idea, layout, formatting, etc, basically, the whole site, is the Intellectual Property (IP) of me and CyberChuck, and Global Network Communications, and you have no rights to do anything with the sites except view them.

somebody
16-03-2003, 01:57 PM
I actually like them both (I know that doesn't really help).

I can say, that I prefer the popout style menu which you have in the first one, although the expanding tree setup is quite good also.

antmannz
16-03-2003, 01:58 PM
I prefer index2 as there is no need to scroll left/right on lower resolutions. I would suggest making the menu bar left-aligned tho. :)

nadius
16-03-2003, 02:00 PM
i like the first one with the pop-out menus.

agent
16-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Thanks folks. I'm thinking of making it so you have to click on the main menu categories to open the submenus.

And the menu bar (in index2) is actually left aligned in my version, it's just CyberChuck's has been out-dated by mine. Dunno when.

Susan B
16-03-2003, 02:20 PM
It is about time you got cracking on that site, agent....

No contest there -- index1 wins hands down. Very, very nice. :-)

Just make those right-hand boxes smaller though, with the text smaller also. They take up too much screen real estate. Actually, I wonder if they would look better in the nice bright colours and style of the other page?

OK, you have no excuses now, get on with it! :D

agent
16-03-2003, 02:30 PM
> OK, you have no excuses now, get on with it! :D

Maths exam on Wednesday?

Anyway, I don't particularly like index1 because of the colours and the massive size of the images, as you said. I'm going to use the colour of the 2004 Whitepages for something too. Nice pretty blue/almost green colour.

Susan B
16-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Well the pop-out menues along the left side are really cool, so do keep them. As far as the other images go, how about having a blue strip along the page with the "Logon", "My Profile", etc instead of the buttons if you don't like them? I think they are good, though, it is just the right-hand boxes that are a bit big.

Just make sure you keep the pop-out menues, whatever you do. So professional. ;-)

agent
16-03-2003, 02:43 PM
Click-to-pop-out menus? And a more clean menu design, where the images aren't rounded at the end, so the pop-out menus don't cut off. And CyberChuck wants the little blue bits on the menu to glow with mouseover and I think while the submenu is open.

oldfart
16-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Hi agent

I would go with the functionality and appearance of index1.html. It has a lot more punch than the other version.
I looked at the sites in both IE 6.0.2 and Netscape 6.

Here are my comments:
In both Browsers I have to scroll horizontally to see the entire page of index1.html—an absolute no no on a Web page.

In Netscape 6 your popup menu buttons used in index1.html do not show at all. With index2.html they all display expanded. Both are fine in IE 6

You have used a table to build your background. Why don’t you consider using an image gif or png file? This way you could achieve a much more subtle change from black to white along the inside border.

The background is a bit nit picky but do fix the page width. Whether or not you decide to fix the Netscape issue is up to you since the largest majority of Internet users prefer IE.

Keep up the good work you are pretty brave opening yourself up in a forum like this.

Cheers oldfart. ;-)

-=JM=-
16-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Definitely the first one.

I had to scroll too much on the second one, even at 1600*1200 on a 17"

Susan B
16-03-2003, 02:52 PM
> Click-to-pop-out menus?

No, hover over like they are now on index1. The buttons/images can be what you want, just make the menues pop out like they do now on hover over. That is so classy.

cyberchuck
16-03-2003, 02:58 PM
What's wrong with rounded edges??
Rounded edges are the way to go - Just look at XP!

Just a few words of warning:
1 - My screen resolution is higher than most normal peoples, so therefore it does make sense that people are complaining that Layout1 needs to be scrolled through to view the entire page

Also, looking back on it, the little corner thingy on my left hand box at the bottom is missing :_| - goddamn Orcon and it's stupid Case Sensitivity... - I have changed it though...

Thanks for the opinions

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
16-03-2003, 03:06 PM
*Note to self* (I was never any good with mental notes, I prefer writing them down)
Just playing with resolutions and a few things I picked up:
1 - 800x600 resolution is huge! I mean jeez!, anyway, the little left bottom menu bar isn't displaying properly at this resolution
Scrolling Side to Side...
Too far to scroll up and down
2 - 1024x768 Still scrolling side to side, and the left nav menu still seems stuffed... (My monitors gone all trapezoidal for some reason?:|)
3 - 1080x1024 (the resolution I used to program it) - Left Nav Menu is fine, minor up/down scrolling/etc
All with Internet Explorer

If people could give notes like what I've just done, stating what resolution they use, Internet Browser, etc, and how bad they both look in all resolutions it would be much appreciated

Thanks for your help

CyberChuck

Chilling_Silence
16-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Definately index1

On a res of 800x600 I had to scrool left/right, but at 1024x768 it was great!

Good work man :D

Dolby Digital
16-03-2003, 07:39 PM
>>Just a reminder that the idea, layout, formatting, etc, basically, the whole site, is the Intellectual Property (IP) of me and CyberChuck, and Global Network Communications, and you have no rights to do anything with the sites except view them.

Too late. I've copied the whole thing and will have my version up and running in the day or so..... :D

Chilling_Silence
16-03-2003, 07:45 PM
> >>Just a reminder that the idea, layout, formatting,
> etc, basically, the whole site, is the Intellectual
> Property (IP) of me and CyberChuck, and Global
> Network Communications, and you have no rights to do
> anything with the sites except view them.
>
> Too late. I've copied the whole thing and will have
> my version up and running in the day or so..... :D

Ooohhh...

Will yours be more friendly for 800x600 resolutions?? ;-)

*BTW - I use 1024x768*

Elephant
16-03-2003, 08:51 PM
I like index1

Using IE6 on a 17" Monitor at 1024 x 768. Running WinXP with Service Pack 1.

Index 1 looks very professional to me. More particularly the left hand popup type menu.

I didn't need to scroll. The bottom right hand corner seems to to missing a bit though.

I hope this helps.

stevie_boy
16-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Look at this (http://sal.neoburn.net/pf1images/studentnet.png).
Note the line through the top row of buttons (login, my profile, etc...)
This occurred using Opera 7.03 on WinXP.

Greg S
17-03-2003, 03:41 AM
> >>Just a reminder that the idea, layout, formatting,
> etc, basically, the whole site, is the Intellectual
> Property (IP) of me and CyberChuck, and Global
> Network Communications, and you have no rights to do
> anything with the sites except view them.

*ooh scary* lol

>
>> Too late. I've copied the whole thing and will have
>> my version up and running in the day or so..... :D

Me too. In fact I sold the rights to a Nigerian scam artist :D

Susan B
17-03-2003, 04:39 PM
> Note the line through the top row of buttons (login, my profile, etc...)
This occurred using Opera 7.03 on WinXP.

Yep, I noticed this but thought it was supposed to be like that until you mentioned it! :D Checked in IE 6 and the line is not there in that browser.

May I suggest that if you guys want to have a really professional website that you install a number of browsers to check your work in? Of course, your targeted audience, the students, may all use IE but do remember that there are a lot of people using Opera, Netscape, Mozilla, Crazy Browser, etc etc.

Personally I got the shock of my life when I first viewed some of my pages in Opera and discovered that they look nothing like they do in Internet Explorer. Have got quite a bit of "fixing up" to do now. :-(

Viewing your pages in Opera on a 17" monitor at 1024x768 resolution and they look good. No scrolling except downwards and the only hiccup is the line previously mentioned.

cyberchuck
17-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Yeah I noticed that... I have Phoenix and Mozilla installed at the moment.. Phoenix wasn't too bad at the different resolutions except for the fact that there was a little left to right scrolling, and that the Javascript Navigation Menu was missing... (Bugger Huh)...

It's just a matter of getting the other half of this project to agree on what layout to use (I prefer index1 to be honest), anyway, thanks for all the advice - I'll collate a list and copy of most of the popular Internet Browsers, spend my weekend downloading them all, then go through these problems one by one (and that's what I call fun for a weekend - really)... Might even be able to invite myself over to agents house and finally get some proper work done....

Just a generalized question - who here knows of ScholarNet (http://www.scholarnet.co.nz) from Kings College?? - it has Mathsonline, Scienceonline, etc.. and another thing, who has subscribed to Scholarnets services for kids/etc???
(It's all part of my plan to show those snotty rich kids at kings that your average student can do exactly the same as them - besides, Competition is a good thing right ;) - especially when the competition offers the same service for free :D)

CyberChuck

agent
17-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Well, I must say myself, that, at 1024x768 in IE6 (Win98), I don't have to scroll across. Dunno what's up there.

I believe the line through the top buttons in Opera (was it?) is because it reads the new row differently. Those images are in two parts, and the line is really where they join.

A couple of months ago I downloaded most browsers... to get their logos (so much for CyberChuck's idea of putting "we support these browsers:" and having the logo of all of them...). I'll probably have to download them all anyway.

CyberChuck> if you read this, then don't be surprised if I cancel you out. Can't exactly do work if I don't have XP working.

Clueless
17-03-2003, 06:41 PM
I prefer index2

Both versions appear correct using Konqueror/Linux, it's just that index1 looks like it came out of a bubble machine, where as index2 is authoritive, funtional, and informative

.Clueless

antmannz
17-03-2003, 07:55 PM
94% of surfers use IE.
If you're happy to spend more time fixing for other browsers, go for it. :)

Clueless
17-03-2003, 08:01 PM
94% and dropping... particually in the computer area!

You noticed that there is no longer novelty in a Linux PC at major shops???

.Clueless

cyberchuck
17-03-2003, 08:17 PM
You have WindowsME, Windows98, Windows2000 - take your pick, although whats with:

> CyberChuck> if you read this, then don't be surprised if I cancel you
> out. Can't exactly do work if I don't have XP working
Does it mean I can't invite myself over?? ?:|

robsonde
17-03-2003, 08:25 PM
version one is much better, it looks much more profesonal

Clueless
17-03-2003, 09:31 PM
hey i'd like to challenge that 94% figure again with this:

Counter stats of an older and not computer orientated site (http://counter34.bravenet.com/index.php?id=334248&usernum=2871046109&cpv=1)

.Clueless