PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Photoshop

somebody
16-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi,

Does anybody know how I can automate repetitive tasks in photoshop (windows verison). I need to convert about 100 photos (JPEG) into grayscale, and autocontrast/autolevels them and then save them.

Has anybody managed to find any software or something which means I can select all the photos, click something, and it will do it all without user-intervention?

Greg S
16-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Good question, and I'll be looking at this thread for a solution in PS. However, it can be done in the small but powerful freeware prog called Polyview, by Polybytes.

somebody
16-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Thanks Greg. I found that Photoshop has an "Automate" function, but it doesn't seem to let me have much choice. File-Automate (Windows).

Does anybody know if there's a 3rd party plug-in or something similar that could do what I want?

Greg S
16-03-2003, 12:07 PM
I looked atthe help files, and this APPEARS to be your answer... ( I opened Help and typed in "batch") ( I also see that the "action" command can be used on a batch of files)

Using the Batch command (Photoshop)

The Batch command lets you play an action on a folder of files and subfolders. If you have a digital camera or a scanner with a document feeder, you can also import and process multiple images with a single action. Your scanner or digital camera may need an acquire plug-in module that supports actions. (If the third-party plug-in wasn't written to import multiple documents at a time, it may not work during batch-processing or if used as part of an action. Contact the plug-in's manufacturer for further information.)

When batch-processing files, you can leave all the files open, close and save the changes to the original files, or save modified versions of the files to a new location (leaving the originals unchanged). If you are saving the processed files to a new location, you may want to create a new folder for the processed files before starting the batch.

For better batch performance, reduce the number of saved history states and deselect the Automatically Create First Snapshot option in the History palette.

To batch-process files using the Batch command:

1 Choose File > Automate > Batch.

2 Choose the desired set and action from the Set and Action pop-up menus.

3 .... etc

somebody
16-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Thanks Greg.

I recorded an Action which converts the file to Grayscale, Auto Levels, Auto Contrast, and Saves. Then I used the Automate - Batch function to do it to entire folders. And it WORKED!!!:)

Once again, thanks for your help Greg.

Just a bit of background on why I needed to know this:

Last year I was working on a magazine, and literally had over 100 photos which needed to be converted into grayscale, auto leveled/autocontrast. It was a very time-consuming process, which took hours to complete. Now that I know how to use this method, it'll be so much quicker to do.

Greg S
16-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Awesome, we helped each other on this one :)