PDA

View Full Version : Opera contacts

Rod ger
15-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Doing the Opera 2step. 6-7 The bookmarks are great but the contacts arn't there!!! Now its 7.03 and I'm up to 7.02 without getting my contacts upgraded. I've tried import/export and cut and paste but no luck. Luv Opera but operating on 6. for email is a bit much. Anybody??

Susan B
15-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Cannot answer your question, sorry, but just want to point out that you do not have to use Opera mail. I use Opera for browsing and Eudora for email myself.

I do have to also use Outlook Express for my Hotmail rather than go to Hotmail online but that is only once a day normally.

Rod ger
15-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Hi Susan,
Yep, but its convinient, safe(non-standard), and saves a little space on my(don't laugh), 1.6Gig HD. Plus with most of my quieres, I'd rather understand, and fix it, then work around it. It P's me off not to be able to get it right(its my obsessive personality disorder you know. I WILL take my pills soon,!)

Danger
15-03-2003, 11:25 PM
Hey, I haven't used Opera mail before, but if I was, would I have the same email address? And could I uninstall IE and OE? Mind you, that may not be such a good idea, as there are still sites that Opera doesnt work properly on.

Susan B
16-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Fair enough Rod ger, I was not suggesting you change if you were happy with what you use. Some people have thought that they had to use the email in Opera when that is not the case.

Have you had a look on Opera's website to see if they have any answers? I have found their forums to be very good for finding out things that I wanted to know. There are quite a few posts regarding email here (http://my.opera.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=f5c0775db800a76cec6a0f9d7a82631 6&forumid=32) but I did not read any. It might be worth you having a look.

Susan B
16-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Oh, and I just have to show off my new Opera skin (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/opera9.jpg), it is so pretty. :D

Rod ger
16-03-2003, 12:40 PM
Thank you for the links Susan they are my next stop. Your browser skin looks great.
Danger Yes your email is the same, you just set it up with your details and it operates with your browser. Opera also have their own mail service but that costs, although you do get it free for a while when you purchase the ad free version .
I gave up on OE & IE years ago, just too big, buggy and targeted and as I have said previously I only have a 1.6 Gig drive. Opera on the other hand has had very few vulnerabilities and the fixes are usually there as soon as you hear about the faults. Plus its fast and small. There arn't many sites that don't work with Opera. I have come across a few that require a plugin, but I don't usually bother.

Rod ger
16-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Thank you for the links Susan they are my next stop. Your browser skin looks great.
Danger Yes your email is the same, you just set it up with your details and it operates with your browser. Opera also have their own mail service but that costs, although you do get it free for a while when you purchase the ad free version .
I gave up on OE & IE years ago, just too big, buggy and targeted and as I have said previously I only have a 1.6 Gig drive. Opera on the other hand has had very few vulnerabilities and the fixes are usually there as soon as you hear about the faults. Plus its fast and small. There arn't many sites that don't work with Opera. I have come across a few that require a plugin, but I don't usually bother.

Rod ger
16-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Whoops forum software indicating it had a problem with my posting so reposted!!

Pato
16-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Hi Susan, Your Browser skin looks great. Is it difficult to set up. I have just started to use Opera and rather like it except every now and again the print decides to go down from 100% to 20%. Have you had that trouble?

Rod ger
16-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Hi Navigated my way around Opera Support and foundthat I had imported my bookmarks into my contacts folder in the hotlist. I managed to get it the right way round and now have the contacts available through the hotlist, but not through the mail section. still its easy to work off the hotlist.
The link Susan gave to the forum on O7 email has a good starting entry. It explains that Opera is treating email quite differently from previous versions; more like a database than a folders based system and exlpains some of the navigation problems I have come up against.

Susan B
16-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Rod ger: Glad to hear that you got something from the Opera website, even if it did not solve your problem entirely.

Pato: I have not had any problems with text size changing on me in Opera, that sounds rather strange.

It is very easy to get skins for the browser, you just need to go to the Skins page (http://my.opera.com/customize/skins/), choose one you want and download it. It will automatically install itself and then ask if you want to keep it. My skin is called Tobs Theatre Paper (http://my.opera.com/customize/skins/skin.pl?id=283) and I have also had Orion and Cocoa which are very nice as well. I have customised my Opera with small buttons so your results will depend on how you have customised yours.

Have fun! :-)

Pato
17-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Susan B, Many thanks for info. I may have to re-instal Opera to cure the problem.