PDA

View Full Version : two lots of windows

upstage
15-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Hello Experts,
On casually looking at my programme files in Windows Explorer i noticed that under the heading of programme files there were two folders marked 'windows'. On further exploring i found they were the same ie containing identical folders and contents as each other. My questions are do i need both? How did the other get there? And is it safe to delete one lot ? I notice that in the uninstall and install programme there is only one explorer programme. It is a mystery to me. It must be taking up some space on my hard drive.
Forget it and leave it or delete it and heaven take the high road?

mark c
15-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Hmmm. A non-expert here, but AFAIK you can't have two identical file names so check on that. Course you could have two files with different names but identical contents so one could be a back up but I think that would be clear.

Drag one to the Recycle Bin and see how you go. (My cautious way of seeing what you can safely biff.)

OWFAE (Or wait for an expert) :D

kiwibeat
15-03-2003, 01:21 PM
dont touch the windows file until you have a back up image file ready to save you or have backed up everything yyou value on your hard drive I learnt the hard way that its very dangerous to touch those file unless you know what you are doing if ytou want to save some space use window washer or washand go reg cleaner etc or just uninstall some programs that you no longer use

Pheonix
15-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Be careful with the Recycle Bin thing too. Some files are too large for the bin and windows just deletes them. Therefore you may not recover all that you deleted. Also another thing, if you delete a important system file to the bin that causes your windows not to start...How are you going to restore it? There are ways, but for general public out there, they are stuffed.

Graham L
15-03-2003, 03:09 PM
It's working now. :D

Why fix it?

Repairing a system which is not broken leads to :_|s before bedtime.

Scouse
15-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Ho Upstage
You have not said if the two names are identical or not. It should not be possible, but check their sizes. The smaller may be a copy of your installation CD for convenient access.

Billy T
15-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Ho to you too scouse.

I've been meaning to ask, are you really from (in) Liverpool, or are you local and dreaming of home? With the wonders of the net, it is so easy to participate in F1 from anywhere in the world, perhaps excluding Afghanistan, or possibly Iraq. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

Scouse
16-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Ho Billy
Nice of you to ask. Unfortunately not quite an exotic F1 participant.

> I've been meaning to ask, are you really from (in)
> Liverpool, ((From since June1959))
>or are you local ((Happily shipwrecked in Riwaka))
>and dreaming of home? ((Occasionally, as I get older))
> With the wonders of the net, it is so easy to
> participate in F1 from anywhere in the world, ((And to read the Liverpool Echo newspaper))
Regards.

Billy T
16-03-2003, 01:10 PM
Aha!

So you've been adopted then scouse?

Welcome, thrice welcome, to our happy family of loonies (belatedly of course). And I do not mean just F1 either.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D