PDA

View Full Version : FDisk Failure

Curly
15-03-2003, 09:38 AM
Getting sick to death of all the little problems, so decided to wipe the disk clean and start again.

Booted FDisk and proceeded to remove the primary DOS partition (Win 98).

Received the message "Could not change partitions, because the disk could not be locked". The disk is an 8 gig ata100.

Have I missed something ?

What now ?

Graham L
15-03-2003, 01:28 PM
You did boot from some disk other than the one to be partitioned?

I don't know about these modern DOS/Windows, but iIhave heard somewhere that there is a "lock" command which you give to DOS when you want to FDISK under some circumstances. This would appear to be such a case. :D

Terry Porritt
15-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Like Graham says, it sounds as though you are trying to run FDISK from within windows. You get that message when you try to write directly to the HDD instead of through the windows VFAT (virtual file allocation table)

You need a DOS system boot floppy with a selection of DOS utils like fdisk, format, attrib, cdrom driver, etc, and a text editor is also a useful tool.

kiwibeat
15-03-2003, 03:22 PM
I had the same startup issues where even Goback failed me.
I have just reformatted and reinstalled 98 SE got everything up and running drivers fav programs etc .
I did a image using PowerQuest drive image 2002 will never have to worry again about over tweaking or installing the wrong software, virus 's etc free to experiment in the registry and use what ever programms i like now knowing i can revert from a floppy in about 10 mins flat !!!

Curly
15-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Graham L and Terry Porritt - yeah guys I was booting Fdisk from a:\ but I miss-understood the comments regarding drives over, I think, 1 or 2 gig.

Tried again using the other option and bingo, one clean, like new HDD.

Re-installed windows, formatted, ops other way round, but would'nt you know it - it made no difference. Looks like I have to assume my 3 spare modems are stuffed. Perhaps tomorrow I will borrow a going modem from one of the other computers and see if it works.

Kiwibeat - Way to go. I have been looking for either Gost or your program, as either will certainly make things easier for those of us who just can't resist having a fiddle with the machines inner bits and pieces and invariably stuffing something up in the process. Frustrating but fun!

Thanks for the assistance - appreciated.