PDA

View Full Version : MS Works portfolio 'clip'

Misty
15-03-2003, 05:03 AM
I rarely use MS works because I have Office 97. Also I use Windows ME.
On my desktop there is what looks like an electronic clip at the top of the page. If I click on it I get choices of 'tasks', 'samples' and 'actions' as it expands downwards. How do I get rid of it ? If I do get rid of it will I suddenly discover a need for it and not be able to get it back ? It is very perplexing !

?:|

Susan B
15-03-2003, 09:23 AM
That will be some kind of Task Manager thing. You can disable that somewhere within the Options/Tools or something in MS Works. I have not got my MS Works installed right now so cannot be more specific, but it will say something like "disable Task Manager (or whatever) from Startup".

It might also have a shortcut in your Start Menu's Startup. If it is you could just remove it from there if you wish but do try from within MS Works first.

If you do not use it now you will not use it in the future. It is just a shortcut to get to the MS Works programs, etc. Useless in my opinion. :D

Misty
15-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Thanks Susan
That got me going. Actually once I started looking around I found that the item I was trying to describe is "minimized Compact view", a portfolio !

I have always thought of MS Works as being a scaled down version of office but am now intrigued because I can see the benefits of having portfolios. It is like something I have always thought would be useful but did not think was around in the software i am using. I will learn more about Works therefore. What I need is to discipline myself more (i am getting better !) and stick with certain things until I learn them.

If anyone has tried or uses Works I would be interested in views on whether it is as good as the promotional/teaching stuff that goes with it says ?

Thanks again, Susan - you are a gem ! :D

Richard42
15-03-2003, 04:24 PM
MS works portfolio is started from the registry so to stop it starting is a bit tricky and I will tell you but only if you still want to as it can be dangerous to go there.
MS works is a program that I have been using for a few years now and has all the tricks I need as I just need a word processor with a few formating nicities. But it has a problem when using-veiwing word or excel so I load 3 veiwers from Microsoft (free). Word, Excel and powerpoint veiwer this allows me to read anything sent to me (email attachments) and I save hundreds on software. Word is a very powerful processor but if you dont need all the fancies why pay for them.

Susan B
15-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Well, Misty, fancy that! Sounds like you have something way better than my older version of Works has got - good on you. :-)

> If anyone has tried or uses Works I would be interested in views on whether it is as good as the promotional/teaching stuff that goes with it says ?

I have found the Works templates to be really good for home and small business stuff. You can create nice professional-looking documents with very little effort.

Word and Office are great, but Works caters for home users much more. I discovered a lot more templates by browsing the CD as a lot of them did not get installed on my PC for some reason. They are well worth looking through.