PDA

View Full Version : WFTWE.....Anatidaephobia......Life is short, time for a little frivolity...

Billy T
14-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Anatidaephobia

The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you :D

(A Far Side original)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

You won't be able to sleep at night now ]:)

cyberchuck
14-03-2003, 10:16 PM
Could be a new form of the Trueman Show?
Makes you wonder why we would have a word that means 'The fear that a duck is watching you'

By the way, where do you get all these words from??

CyberChuck

Billy T
14-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Well cyberchuck, Anatidaephobia is the only overtly made-up word I have ever used on WFTWE ,but then all words were made up or developed at some time or another.

Where do I get them? I originally started with words I knew, but now I collect them on my travels through dictionaries and around the web. I think this is WFTWE #40 or thereabouts, I must check so that I can celebrate the 50th with a real doozy. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

onlyme
14-03-2003, 10:34 PM
actually i remmember reading that joke....
...aint it cool!
I get such a laugh from gary larsen, the more i read the more i laugh!!!
:^O

Heather P
14-03-2003, 10:35 PM
I have long suspected that Billy has a copy of the "Chambers Words for crosswords and wordgames" - and refers, with uncontrollableness, to the last three pages.

Billy T
14-03-2003, 10:43 PM
Nope, not that way Heather.

I have a list of words that I have collected sitting in my computer, roughly in alphabetical order. I get them all over the place.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :8}

Heather P
14-03-2003, 10:54 PM
Then I shall have to apologise for the unthoughtfulness of my misinterpretation of the facts.

Good book by the way.

Billy T
15-03-2003, 10:15 AM
No need for apologies Heather, my search for words goes on interminably as I have a morbid fear of anomia.*

I constantly seek new sources of unusual and interresting words, but it sounds like I would need money for that one.:(

I am always afraid I might run out of new ideas before the PF1 team gets tired of their Friday word games. I try to keep them topical whenever I can too, so that required a fairly substantial resource.

Cheers

* Anomia: Difficulty in finding the right words

Heather P
15-03-2003, 10:25 AM
The concise oxford dictionary has let me down.

You don't by any chance have a fear of anoxia? Or the possibility of suffering from anosmia? Or do you resent being anourous?

mark c
15-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Mrs Byrne's Dictionary of Obscure, Unusual and Preposterous Words

Billy T
15-03-2003, 12:27 PM
Never heard of that one either Mark :O Where do you find that?

I think I am missing out on some great resources :(

Cheers

mark c
15-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Gotta admit it's a book book thing, with paper and covers and you cary it around like a laptop but it doesn't need batteries.

Got some hilarious stuff like "quakebuttock" for someone who's chicken.

Just thought I'd throw it in.

OldEric
15-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Hi Billy.... guess you will have technophobia on your list. it certainly exists in today's clime

OldEric

Billy T
15-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Hmmm......

It's probably a bit too well known OldEric :|

I try to use words that virtually nobody has ever heard of.

However, IMHO F1 is populated by technophobes, all undergoing aversion therapy and kindly sponsored by Microsoft. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Susan B
16-03-2003, 12:13 PM
> I think I am missing out on some great resources.

Try the library, Billy. There is only one thing better than a good book to read in bed before nodding off. :D

Heather P
16-03-2003, 12:18 PM
>There is only one thing better ...

What's that Susan? Reading a dictionary? B-)

Billy T
16-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Mmmmmmmmm........ Deep thought and circumspection required here! :|

It's probably a personal quirk Susan, but I have never really fancied Librarians.

Besides, I think Mrs T would probably be a bit miffed if I brought one home to help me sleep.

Cheers

P.S. Was that an authorised photo that Liam used,
or is it from your paparazzi collection?

Pollly
16-03-2003, 02:01 PM
> The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching
> you :D

Billy, have you got a word for when you know a duck is watching you? I live in The Netherlands with a canal at the end of my garden, and those buggers are always watching me!

B-) ( This is me hiding from the ducks!)

Graham L
16-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Don't criticize librarians, Billy. Some of them are delightful. And most of them are intelligent, too.

However, I don't think you would live long in a Wild West Scrabble match, with the Colt Peacemakers on the blanket for arguments about the rules.

Billy T
16-03-2003, 05:01 PM
Heh Heh Heh ]:)

I wasn't criticising Librarians Graham. :)

I know you can borrow good books to read to help you sleep at night, but I was new to the concept of borrowing a Librarian for the same purpose. ;)

Just my over-developed sense of the ridiculous really. :8}

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Now look what you've gorn an done Susan!
You've got me in trouble with Graham and off-side with
the United Librarians of NZ. Now how do I sleep. ?:|

Billy T
16-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Kia Ora Polly

Greetings to you in Old Zeeland from us here in Nieuw Zeeland.

What a turn up for the books, I bet even Gary Larsen didn't anticipate your problem :^O

Well, I am sure that your phobia has yet to be fully researched and named by the medical profession, so I am going to steal a march on them and create my own word for the fear you feel when you KNOW you are being watched by ducks.

Are you ready? OK, here it is:

Ornithocularanatidaephobia

The irrational but nevertheless real fear felt by people who know they are being watched by ducks. © 2003 Billy T Enterprises Unlimited B-)

Unlike other phobias though, this one has a straightforward cure. Do you own a shotgun by any chance, and a reasonably useful gun dog?

Cheers

cicero
16-03-2003, 06:20 PM
One has to be careful not to become too recondite otherwise we loose our audience.

Dolby Digital
16-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Well hello you European type person, what attracted you to the PF1 forum (and can you understand the accent we NZer's have). You might just have to move away from the canal (although the ducks may follow you :D)

Baldy
17-03-2003, 09:03 AM
> Cheers
>
> Billy 8-{) :D
>
> P.S. Was that an authorised photo that Liam
> used,
> or is it from your paparazzi collection?

I think it was probably the paparazzi photo Billy. Wouldn't she be wearing her witches britches in the authorised one?

BALDY:-)
ducks in case Susan gets retaliation material from someone in far off tulip munching land

Billy T
17-03-2003, 10:03 AM
> One has to be careful not to become too recondite
> otherwise we loose our audience.

Hmmmm............

What a recondite use of the word loose cicero ;)

Do you mean that our audience will suffer a lack of stability in the rectal area, or that moral turpitude might ensue? ;\ :O

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D

mark c
17-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Pantophobia is one that has always amazed me. It's a morbid fear of everything. Imagine you wake up in the morning and it's "Aaargh the bedside table! Aaaaaargh! A clock! On and on.

Don't think I've ever met a pantophobe but I suppose they're a bit strung out.

Cheers mc

Pollly
17-03-2003, 10:54 AM
> Ornithocularanatidaephobia
>
> The irrational but nevertheless real fear felt by
> people who know they are being watched by ducks. ©
> 2003 Billy T Enterprises Unlimited B-)
>
> Unlike other phobias though, this one has a
> straightforward cure. Do you own a shotgun by any
> chance, and a reasonably useful gun dog?

Thank you for that Billy. I feel heaps better now I can put a name to my phobia. You are a lot cheaper than Doctor Phil. :p

No shotgun yet, and so far the closest thing Iíve got to a gundog is this (http://sal.neoburn.net/pf1images/Ceilidh*.jpg)

> (and can you understand the
> accent we NZer's have).

Yes, Dolby Digital, your accent is a bit hard to understand, so if you could type a bit slower from now on please? :D

Billy T
17-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Normally found strung up Mark;\

That is, if they can get over their fear of ropes, nooses, heights, falling, choking, dying, afterlife, eternity, decison making and their overriding fear of fear itself.

Actually, I thought Pantophobia was the fear of trousers, or perhaps the fear of large dogs on hot days. :|

Cheers

With apologies to Pantophobes everywhere, though their
fear of computers will stop them seeing this and their fear of
phones, talking, meeting people, reading or listening will probably protect
them from my crass insensitivity to their most delicate condition. :8}

Baldy
17-03-2003, 07:39 PM
LOL, Pollly suffers from Cyclophobia, and she lives in the Netherlands hahaha.

argus
18-03-2003, 11:33 AM
Borborygmus

Literally, flatulence. Figuratively, the repeated and compulsive uttering of obscenities.

Memorably used in a 1994 headline in National Business Review concerning simple-minded perceptions by the operators of the old bulletin boards (BBSs) as to what it was appropriate to censor in anticipation of new legislation (Films, Videos, and Publications Classification Act, 1993) coming into force.

"Bulletin boards ban boobs, bums, borborygmus".

Argus

Thomas
18-03-2003, 02:06 PM
>>What a recondite use of the word loose cicero .

O dear,the less cicumlocution invoked the better,due I would say to the paucity of alternatives.