PDA

View Full Version : Excel printer assignment

Grellis
14-03-2003, 09:21 PM
I have 3 different printers on one computer. Is it possible to set an Excel workbook to print to a different printer to the default? I can change it manually but if I forget to or hit the printer icon rather than <Ctrl-P> I get A4 pages instead of sticky labels...

Heather P
14-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Well I've had a slight tinker and come up with a possible solution involving toolbars. Not sure if it will work because I only have one printer on my system rather than 3.

Open Excel; Click on Tools, Customize.

Go to the Commands tab and in the file group look to see if all 3 printers are listed. I have two printer icons, one says Print..., the other Print (Canon S300)

If you have one icon for each printer drag the one you want up next to the existing print button. Then drag the existing print button back into the commands window on the customize pop up.

Close customize pop up and test.

If it doesn't work - reverse the process.

To print, always click the button rather than use the menu of file, print.

Let me know how you get on.

Heather P
14-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Actually, if it DOES work click on File, Print and see which printer is on offer.

Another thought, why have you got the sticky label printer set to default? If this is a problem with other programs change the default printer. Start; Setting; Printers; right click required printer; click "set as default"

Grellis
15-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Thanks, I'll have to try it when I get back to work Monday. Have had a play at home, it would appear that would change the default printer for Excel globally whereas I need it to be for specific workbooks. Maybe some sort of macro?

Heather P
15-03-2003, 05:50 PM
Yes you could create a macro but...

>...I can change it manually but if I forget ...

still applies.