PDA

View Full Version : LINUX. GAIM, (not)getting it to work with yahoo messenger

Clueless
14-03-2003, 08:14 PM
GAIM seemed realy easy to set up for communication with ICQ users, yet not at all easy for yahoo messenger.
I've set up 2 accounts, if i try to log in on either, it then gives me the following error:
"<user> has been signed off: Unable to read"
Has anyone got this service to work? Whats the secret?

.Clueless

-=JM=-
15-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Have you looked at the website at all? I can't say I have tried to connect to Yahoo! messenger service before but I do know that the people running the service (Yahoo!, MSN, ICQ) do like to change protocols so that third partly clients don't work.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Clueless
15-03-2003, 07:03 AM
I like the website...just had a look at it now, such a pity that it didn't offer any help on this particular problem. I am running an "older version" of GAIM so lets see what an update does?

.Clueless

Clueless
15-03-2003, 08:29 AM
I updated.....
And it now works :)

Everything else seems the same, I'm logging into the same place; pager host:"scs.yahoo.com" pager port:"5050" same screenname, alias, and password. From an end user point of veiw, the only other change seems to be the version number. I'll call it an ex-bug, and be happy

.Clueless

Clueless
15-03-2003, 09:24 AM
I was running version v0.59.6
I am now running version v0.59.9

.Clueless

bmason
15-03-2003, 12:52 PM
You get the same thing with Trillian because they keep changing the protocol.

MSN seems to he the only one that hasn't (so far). I have a copy of MSN 1.0 that still works perfectly.