PDA

View Full Version : Screen Freezes when loading PC World CD

Cottage_Maid
14-03-2003, 07:59 PM
I'm having a problem trying to load the PC World CD everytime I put the CD in the whole computer freezes...

Is there anyway of stopping that happening as I want to access the PC World CD to download some of the trials.

Thanks.

mikebartnz
14-03-2003, 08:09 PM
It is probably a dodgy CD. I think if you contact PCWorld you can get another one.

agent
14-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Perhaps it is because the PC World CD sucks.

Yes, you heard me right folks (that's if you're reading this). It sucks. For instance, in the March issue, the only good things on the CD were the two movie trailers. Everything else was crap. This is a formal complaint. I also recommend a serious redesign of the CD label. It is too plain.

Sure, I've only gotten one CD (free, because I cover magazines in the school library), but it'd be nice to know that there is at least some colour rotation. Not just green and mean all the time. Let's have some lean in there. Revamp the CD label. I like PC Authority's design. And they have nice colours, which change. Nice.

I also prefer PC Authority's cover design more... the image doesn't take up the whole page. More lovely clean space.

Come to think of it... isn't it time PC World underwent a design change (or at least tweak)? PC Authority has had a few over the past few years, and they've only gotten better, from what was once good anyway. And if the PC World website looks anything like PressF1... leave it alone. It looks nice.

tweak\'e
14-03-2003, 08:26 PM
it may not be the cd. your computer may be under powered or have a poor cd drive. try it without the cd auto run. (i can't rember what key you press to bypass it has i have my auto run turned off permantly).

mikebartnz
14-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Quite frankly I couldn't care a less about the design on the CD as when it is in the drive I can't see it and when not I don't waste my time studying them.
As for the magazine itself I subscribe to another and they just changed their format and it was all bad. It was perfectly logical before but certainly not now.
I don't think you helped the initial poster and probably should have put your gripe in it's own post.

Susan B
14-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Hold down shift before and while the CD tray is closing until the light goes out. Then open the index.htm (or whatever it is) from Windows Explorer.