PDA

View Full Version : Time-Delay Vid Capture software wanted

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Im after some software that'll take 1 image every second and put it into a vid file, pref. a compressed one.. It'll be running off an Athlon XP 1700+ so if it can save it as an avi with DivX that'd be mint!

Ive got a 2.5 gig partition 'specially for it and Im expecting the file to nearly fill it up if I do a couple of hours of shots. I'll neet NTFS though wont I coz of the file-size limit with Fat32?

Anyway, Software, that takes one image per second for a set amount of time (I'll be going for 6-12 hours), and save it as a vid file!

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

BootyLicious
14-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Can i ask why? every second,you just as well to video it.

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2003, 03:28 PM
30FPS vid.. or even 15FPS...

1 second is a lot better for the current purpose of using it as surveilance!

Its just a fun thing to learn/play around with.

I had been using some stuff that came with my older WebCam, but it was less than ideal.

Ive got a 2.5 Gig partition and it'd fill it up pretty quick. Maybe an hour or so! I know I should be able to get at least 6 hours.. maybe 12 with the right compression.

The other thing is... I think it was formatted as FAT32 which has a 1.8 gig Filesize limit AFAIK or something like that.. but I have a 2.5 gig partition, so Ive re-formatted it as NTFS!

Its just something to play around with and learn in between looking for employment :D

Chilling_Silence
16-03-2003, 08:55 PM
*/me figures Pf1 is a little quiet so I'll just [bump] these two messages up and see if anybody can help!?!*

Anybody ever used some software for something like this?

I used Presto!Videoworks to do it.. less than desireable results came from it..

kiwibeat
17-03-2003, 05:00 PM
Thats a good idea let me know how you get along could use it to do a survaillence of my van outside lol

IanJ
17-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Check Out a piece of software by the name of Gotcha. We use it at the school that I work at.

Ian

Gorela
17-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Howdy CS,

While this program doesn't appear to capture images at the rate you require it still appears to be worth checking out as it captures images of movement. It's a linux program and you can read about it at sourceforge (http://motion.sourceforge.net)

Gorela
17-03-2003, 06:47 PM
I also just found this Zone Minder (http://www.zoneminder.com/) site which appears to be more what you are looking for. :)

Mike
18-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Chilling,

As part of Powertoys for Windows XP (not sure which OS you're using, but I'm guessing it's XP) theres a program called "Timer shot", which you can set to take shots every however long (you can set it to 1 second). Saves as JPGs, not video though (but it's fairly easy to convert to video after that).

Not quite what you're wanting, I know, but an idea anyway.

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2003, 03:51 PM
IanJ>

Great, looks like its what Im after, only Im on a tight, un-employed person budget here, so free is pretty much a must for this. I'll still look into it thanks :-)

Gorela>
Great, one more thing to add to my PC to do in Linux, only Im gonna need drivers for my Chicony WebCam first of all :( See my other thread here.

And powertoys... I'll have a looksie at that.

Im running WinXP or RedHat 8.

Ive got 2K installed on it.. but I dont use that.. and if it works on 2K, then its highly probable it'll have an XP version... :-)

Thanks guys
Anything else out there?

Chilling_Silence

IanJ
18-03-2003, 04:25 PM
>Im gonna need drivers for my Chicony WebCam
> first of all :( See my other thread here.
>
For drivers for a Chicony Webcam try here.

http://www.chicony.com/download/di/driver.asp

IanJ