PDA

View Full Version : MSN messenger file sharing

subterfuge
13-03-2003, 08:33 PM
I have two computers in my home networked together. The hosts connects to the internet and is running XP, the other is running ME. My problem is (and it seems to be only me thats having this problem!!) when I am using MSN messenger and trying to send files to my contacts, msn comes back 20 seconds later and tells me my connection is blocked. this happens from both computers, yet I can recieve file transfers from my contacts. From what I have worked out so far, it seems to be a network problem of some kind, but thats as far as I have gotten. I am running no firewalls and even have XP's own firewall disabled to no avail.

stu140103
13-03-2003, 08:59 PM
> I have two computers in my home networked together.
> The hosts connects to the internet and is running
> XP, the other is running ME. My problem is (and it
> seems to be only me thats having this problem!!)
> when I am using MSN messenger and trying to send
> files to my contacts, msn comes back 20 seconds
> later and tells me my connection is blocked. this
> happens from both computers, yet I can recieve file
> transfers from my contacts. From what I have worked
> out so far, it seems to be a network problem of some
> kind, but thats as far as I have gotten. I am
> running no firewalls and even have XP's own firewall
> disabled to no avail.
What typed of internet connection do you have ??? ADSL??

Is your Internet connection shared between both computers??
If so you cant send files :(

MSN messenger does not like something with ICS.....

I also have the same problem as you :( :)

Also have a looks here: http://messenger.microsoft.com/support/knownissues.asp that will tell you all the Known Issues that MSN messenger has….

Hope this helps

Big John
13-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Messenger does not like NAT. You can get around it using a router that can handle uPnP but otherwise you have to do the work yourself and set pinholes in your router to force certain ports to go to certain IP addresses

subterfuge
13-03-2003, 09:11 PM
thanks for that. yes, between the ICS and the NAT, there are some funny goings on in there somewhere. I know that if i do cut my ties with the other computer, it all seems to work ok, but thats not the way i want it! I am using a dialup from a rural area of Taranaki...we can't even get ADSL yet out here! Thanks again to all responses.

stu140103
13-03-2003, 09:18 PM
> Messenger does not like NAT. You can get around it
> using a router that can handle uPnP but otherwise you
> have to do the work yourself and set pinholes in your
> router to force certain ports to go to certain IP
> addresses

uPnp is Not a good idea :(!…..

Also what is NAT??? :8} Sorry for the stupid question but I don’t know what it is....:8}

stu140103
13-03-2003, 09:20 PM
> thanks for that. yes, between the ICS and the NAT,
> there are some funny goings on in there somewhere.
It will be ICS! MSN messenger does not like it,

Not too sure about NAT ?:|....

subterfuge
13-03-2003, 09:40 PM
NAT stands for Network Address Translation. Its an Internet standard that enables a local-area network to use one set of IP addresses for internal traffic and a second set of addresses for external traffic. The reason I am wary of it is because it provides a type of firewall by hiding internal IP addresses. So even if ICS is the culprit, which it probably is, im not totally ruling it out that the NAT has nothing to do with it.

Big John
13-03-2003, 10:49 PM
> uPnp is Not a good idea :(!…..

Nothing wrong with uPnP. Sure it got a bad bit when it was first released but if you got the updates then it is no problem. All it does is allow software to open ports instead of having to manuall set pinholes through the router.

It allows programs like Messenger and ICQ to work 100% behind NAT instead of only parts of it working.