PDA

View Full Version : It was a slow day on the Forum, when suddenly.....



Billy T
13-03-2003, 04:03 PM
A strange and random thought came into my head:

Linux will run on a PC platform

Linux will run on a MAC platform

(read it somewhere in PCW so it must be true)

so,

Will Win9x/2k/XP run on a MAC platform ?:|

If not, why not?

Is it the Unix base that provides inter-operability?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

-=JM=-
13-03-2003, 04:18 PM
I think you could get Win9x/2k/XP to run on a MAC. IF you completely rewrote the foundations of the OS. In which case you might as well make it not-so-crash-happy as well.

They will ofcourse work on a mac via way of a Virtual PC ofcourse.

I also don't think that it is any old linux distro that will run on a mac, you'll need one specifically designed engineered for it.

You can ofcourse also get PCI cards which will let you run windows on your mac. Not sure how much they cost though.

I remember I had a crazy idea I posted somewhere at some stage about having a motherboard that took both a mac and a pc processor.

agent
13-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Probably. And Linux probably supports more hardware than Windows... probably... maybe not... I'm not sure on that one. And if you install Windows on a Mac machine, why not dump the ugly case while you're at it? Computers are about specs, not style. Style just looks nicer, it doesn't help your computer perform better.

Graham L
13-03-2003, 04:25 PM
It won't. Because it's certainly not worth Bill's time. MS have enough troubles with one platform, and the money's in the applications. (Word etc are made to run on the Mac). MS have dropped the Alpha port for NT, too.

If you want transportability, try NetBSD. That supports: acorn, amiga, alpha, amiga, atari, .. dreamcast, ...hp300 ... i386, mac68k, macppc ... sparc, sun2, sun3. ...vax. About 38 platforms, by my count in 1.6.

Linux does 68k, pps flavours of Mac (though the 68k is not fully supported, I think), alpha, intel, and a few others. Acorn is one, I think. If anyone wants to do a port, they are allowed to. :D

It's not the fact that it's Unix ... it's the fact that the sources are open, and the GNU tools are there. The standard compilers help too.

minos
14-03-2003, 08:47 AM
good question Billy ( I wondered that myself too... well if macs are sooo goood then? )

as I understand it ( remembering that a mac is "closed architecture" ) apparently they are reverse endian ( or something big techie word I don't understand or can spell properly lol ) which is supposed to mean that the mac doesn't read/transport data the same as a pc does.

imagine as a case mod, a pc put inside a mac 2e?? lol

okay I'll hide now and activate my spellchecker...

:D

Susan B
14-03-2003, 01:45 PM
But why would anyone WANT to run Win9x/2k/XP run on a MAC platform? Should it not be the other way around, running MAC on a PC platform?

After all, PCs are so much cheaper than Macs and it is only the software that Macs like about them, isn't it? :D
Climbs into special Mac-flame-retardant suit.

-=JM=-
14-03-2003, 02:04 PM
All I know is that if I had the money i'd happily have a Mac sitting amongst my two PCs here.

Susan B
14-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Yeah, well we know that you like collecting things, JM. :D

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2003, 02:14 PM
> All I know is that if I had the money i'd happily
> have a Mac sitting amongst my two PCs here.


;-) Wouldnt we all?! ;-)

..If I had the money spare.. Now, that's a laugh ;-)

-=JM=-
14-03-2003, 02:28 PM
> Yeah, well we know that you like collecting things,
> JM. :D


what would make you say that. I can't really think of anything I collect.

Thomas
14-03-2003, 02:38 PM
>what would make you say that. I can't really think of anything I collect.


She was just joshing Jim.

Billy T
14-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Ahhh..........Susan *cough* :8}

I was not advocating PC to Mac conversions, or even Mac to PC conversions. I was simply struck by this absurd and irrational thought while I should have been elbows deep in something else, so I decided to share it. It lay dormant for a couple of days, sinking slowly beneath the waves, then suddenly floated to the surface again, as all decomposing posts should do of course.

Personally, MacUnix V10 excepted, I see no reason to pay exorbitant prices for flashy looking computer equipment that you can't upgrade, bastardise and generally bugger around with as your mood and whimsy take you.

I have a sister (not you sis :p) who spent $30,000 several years ago buying a pile of Mac-ware to do work that $10,000 worth of PC equipment would have hosed through, while running exactly the same applications of course. She could have replaced or upgraded it several times over since if she had bought PC as I advised, but she didn't and now she is left with obsolete equipment that can't keep up, can't be upgraded and she can't afford to replace it.

Here endeth my Friday MacRant :|

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Susan B
14-03-2003, 04:32 PM
>> Yeah, well we know that you like collecting things, JM.

> what would make you say that. I can't really think of anything I collect.

I can. Browsers for one. :D :p


> Personally, MacUnix V10 excepted, I see no reason to pay exorbitant prices for flashy looking computer equipment that you can't upgrade, bastardise and generally bugger around with as your mood and whimsy take you.

Mmmm, my point exactly. :-) :D