PDA

View Full Version : AVG Installation problem

Pato
13-03-2003, 11:25 AM
My OS is Win98SE
I had a back-up programme called "Mirror, Mirror" installed.
When I attempt to install AVG the following happens:
The AVG System Setup Window appears and unzips the files in the usual way but then instead of the second AVG window asking for the serial number it goes to the Setup window to instal Mirror, Mirror.
It would appear that I have not removed everything relating to Mirror, Mirror.
Can anyone help please?.

supergran
13-03-2003, 02:35 PM
I would try putting mirror, mirror, in search, or find, and delete everything to do with it, then try and install again.

TiMę:*)
13-03-2003, 04:48 PM
The exact same thing happend to me, I opened AVG setup and it seemed ok then I clicked next and then it opened up the installer for real player. I deleted the setup for realplayer then ran avg again and then it was fine, i had win me back then.

Tim

Pato
13-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Supergran and Tim,
Thanks for help. I tried the "Find" and deleted anything to do with my backup programme but I still get the Mirror, Mirror Setup and when I exit it I get the Mirror, Mirror Removal programme. Any other suggestions?

13-03-2003, 06:49 PM
:)
Ahh; drag the setup in Desktop and try running the setup there.

Tim

Peter H
13-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Go here and use reg cleaner - tools - do them all. http://www.jv16.org
Bye

Pato
14-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Tim, Thanks but I am not sure what you mean by drag the setup in desktop and try from there. I tried it by my usual method of installation Add/Remove and also through Wincommander but still get the ruddy setup for Mirror.

Peter H, Thanks I will give the Reg cleaner a go as would like to get it sorted.

15-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Stupid reg cleaner, I clicked on the reset hard ware configuration and it started to reinstall my drivers and then nothing worked, usb and printer and all my other stuff and then I got xp hahaha
dont click on reset hardware configureation

Pato
15-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Tim, Could explain about Setup from desktop as you mentioned?.

Peter H
15-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Tim
Pays to read the help file first. Reset hardware option, only works on Win 9x.
Bye

Pato
16-03-2003, 11:10 AM
Tim, How do I install from setup on the Desktop as you suggested.
I am no further ahead so at this stage will give up and stick with e-trust antivirus programme unless anyone else can suggest a solution. Unfortunately it's not free like AVG.

Pheonix
16-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Get JV16 like Peter H suggested. Install. Go to registry tool button. In the list that pops up, tick any box that mentions your mirror program. Click on remove button.Then on menu bar select tools-registry cleaner, untick show ignored entrys. Then continue-start. When it is finished, go top menu and click select-all. Then bottom button delete. Close application and restart, then try install of AVG.

16-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Ooh, open the window where the setup (installer) for AVG is; drag the installer (setup) on to the desktop, (which is where all the shortcuts are and my computer recylcle bin) then try to install

Tim

Pato
16-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Thanks to all for your help. I solved the problem by installing it from a CD that came with the latest NetGuide. Have learnt a lot in the process. I don't know what I would do without F1. Cheers.