PDA

View Full Version : defrag

annewells
13-03-2003, 09:57 AM
I am operating in Windows 98. I am trying to do a very overdue defrag, but there seem to be some programmes in the background which are lengthening the time to do the job.
I have closed the obvious ones like Norton, sounds, etc.
How do I find all of these hidden background programmes?
How do I close them down just for the defrag?
Anne

mark c
13-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Whenever I do a defrag I got to Safe Mode because that runs just the minimum programs and you don't have to worry about what is running.
Restart and press F8 during the black and white boot up screens and you get the option to go to Safe Mode.
Cheers mark :D c

csinclair83
13-03-2003, 02:30 PM
and what do i do for a winxp user..
have had this computer 8 months now..havent done 1 single defrag..

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Same thing should work.

Just remember that some programs dont have to appeaer when you press Ctrl + Alt + Del (Or Ctrl + Alt + Esc in XP for all types :-)).

I used a keylogger on my laptop and it didnt show up, and it'd write to a file each time the blue bar up the top changed, so it restarted after 1% progress :(

Safe mode is your best bet, and as said, F8 will get you into it :-)

TiMę:*)
13-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Arn't you suppose to press Ctrl while windows is starting to get in saft mode?

Girls............. hahahah

Tim

TiMę:*)
13-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Blah!!!!!!!! >.< TIMMAHH!!!!!! >.<

Danger
13-03-2003, 07:33 PM
EndItAll, EndItAll, EndItAll, (Cracked record) EndItAll, EndItAll, EndItAll, find it on Google.

Thomas
13-03-2003, 07:45 PM
I right click on all stuff in system tray and close,that is found at bottom right.I defrag once a week at least and have the tidiest comu. around,mind you I can't use it.;)

Susan B
14-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Bit of a nuisance, isn't it Anne? :-(

Have you tried pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys together to get the Windows Task Manager and closing down programs in there? You will only need Systray and Explorer, the others can be closed.

Also turn off your screensaver until the defrag has been done.

One more thing that could be trying to run is FindFast. This is a totally unnecessary utility that you can uninstall altogether if you have it. Do that from Control Panel - either from the FindFast in Control Panel or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Don't forget to make sure it is removed from the Start Menu's Startup folder.

Not sure if you already know this or not, but it is wise to run ScanDisk prior to defrag. You will need to close down all apps to run ScanDisk as well. If you have not done either for a long time, do remember that they may look like they have got "stuck" at certains points. Just leave them for a while (possibly a few hours) and they will finish what they are doing eventually, as long as no other apps are interfering.

Good luck! :-)

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2003, 01:19 PM
Google search for WinTasks 4, download the 15 day trial.

Its perfect for your situation, or for burning CD's or watching DVD's on under-powered PCs :D

Misty
15-03-2003, 05:55 AM
Not sure if you already know this or not, but it is wise to run ScanDisk prior to defrag

I have been aware of the need to run scandisk before defrag but have always wondered - should I run the 'standard' or the 'thorough' option ?
?:|

mark c
15-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Standard if things are running well, only Thorough if things aren't.

Easier way to do it Win 9x is just use the Maintenance Wizard, it will do Scandisk (defaults to Standard) Clean-up and then a Defrag. All on auto.

Maintenance I've always found to be a breeze.