PDA

View Full Version : NEVER 'Remember my Password'! How can I do this?

Chilling_Silence
11-03-2003, 11:20 AM
In XP, with Window/MSN Messenger, I dont want that 'Remember my Password' option to be there, as working in a cafe, some people are clever enough to tick that when they sign in and its a bit of a pain to have to make it forget their passwords etc.

So, Can I blank out or remove that option in Windows/MSN Messenger?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

stu140103
11-03-2003, 11:30 AM
I don’t think so :) I might be wrong…

You just have to go over each computer after some one user it :D and see if they saved they password, if they did un tick that box and remove the password

Chilling_Silence
11-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I know that, but when you get sometimes upto 30 odd people using 7-8 different PC's each and every day, It can become a very laborious process!

Gorela
11-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Not sure if XP has this option, but would disabling "Auto Complete" in the "Internet Options" do the trick?

Chilling_Silence
11-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Yeah, XP does have Auto Complete... All OS's do since IE4, maybe even 3!

It is already disabled on half the PC's, and it still remembers the stuff... :(

Gorela
11-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Have you disabled it in the advance tab as well as under the content tab?

Chilling_Silence
11-03-2003, 02:52 PM
use Inline Auto-Complete is off...

Rod J
11-03-2003, 03:01 PM
It might be a bit drastic but try deleting any .pwl files in the Windows folder. Windows log on and network passwords are stored in these files, I'm not sure if MSN stores its password there or not. You could set up a batch file to do it automatically once a day or something.

Gorela
11-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Picky, picky :)

Okay there is this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q264672) Microsoft Knowledge Base article about reinstating the save password. It appears to imply that there could be an option to remove some abilities/access rights for the user. I make this assumption from line 6 (for XP, bottom of page) that says.........

Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.

Perhaps worth looking at.

Graham L
11-03-2003, 03:11 PM
That sort of thing ought to be settable with a Policy setup.

nadius
11-03-2003, 07:21 PM
you can turn off the service named "Protected Storage" (type: services.msc in the run box) - this way even if you tick the box your password won't get saved.

of course with this service off NONE of your passwords will save.

however, if you use encryption you need to leave this service on to manage the private keys..