PDA

View Full Version : Rebooting while on-line.

srutherford
11-03-2003, 09:29 AM
We have just upgraded m/board, cpu & RAM to a celeron 1.3Ghz (FIC FR33E m/board) and now find that while online it will reboot involuntarily. It is not consistant on when, how long it has been online or what
browser is being used. It is fine in all other respects.
It has a Genius PCI modem (lucent) which worked fine with the Pentium 133 m/board. Have tried a new modem and it still does it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers
Sam

godfather
11-03-2003, 09:48 AM
How does your power supply stack up with the added parts?

If its a full reboot, it could be that its output is marginal, what wattage is it?

Lohsing
11-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Are you running Windows XP? I know when you come across the old "Blue Screen of Death" it is set to default auto reboot.

Other probs could include your CPU being too hot, RAM being faulty, etc.

Lo.

srutherford
11-03-2003, 09:55 AM
It is in a new case with a 300w p/supply. Running win 95b. The crazy thing is it only does it while on-line. You can play games for hours on end and it never misses a beat.
Cheers
Sam

Graham L
11-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Try disabling (in the BIOS) any "Wakeup On" options.

srutherford
11-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Have put an external modem on it and seeing what happens. All power saving has been turned off.

tweak\'e
11-03-2003, 04:30 PM
when you upgraded did you reinstall windows fresh or just plug in the old drive (or image) and prayed it worked ??

srutherford
11-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Plugged the drive in and it went like a dream. Flight Simulator goes for hours with no problem and we can't get the thing to do anything wrong apart from this reboot while on-line. At the moment it is running on an external modem and I think is OK, it should have rebooted by now. That tells me there is something awry with the PCI side of things.

Lohsing
11-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Ok.... well, there's your problem there... I'm surprised your computer worked at all given you plugged a hard drive in with an existing OS!!

Lo.

tweak\'e
11-03-2003, 09:52 PM
basicly you have all the old crap still in the system. best way is to format reinstall. or boot into safe mode and remove all entries in device manager. then reload all your drivers with the motherboard being the first ones to put in.

srutherford
12-03-2003, 09:21 AM
Sometimes you can get away with it and sometimes you can't!! Device manager looks alright but there must be something to do with the PCI dept as the modem is the only card in the machine.

tweak\'e
12-03-2003, 12:43 PM
> Device manager looks alright

did you check it in safe mode?
did you delete all the entries and reinstall the drivers?