PDA

View Full Version : Completly wiped Hard drive

404error
10-03-2003, 09:17 PM
I had windows ME (yea yea i know, its crap) and EXPLORER.EXE stuffed up. I managed to get a copy of Mandrake 9.0 (yippee) but it wasn't detecting any Hard drives. I asked a friend and he suggested that I should try re-formatting my Hard Drive. So I did, but the trouble is that Linux still isn't detecting the Hard Drive(s). I asked him again what was going on, he said "I believe that your hard drive is wiped to a point where it cannot be read," so I said "oh boy!" What is wrong???

Murray P
10-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Hi

Is your HDD detected at boot during the POST (beeps). What does it say in your BIOS re HDD?

Formatting a drive won't wipe absolutely everything just your programs, data and OS0. Partitions and file allocation is still there ready and waiting.

Where did you format your drive from, DOS, Fdisk, ...Windows, Linux?

I know very little about Linux but, I'm sure it has an installation routine like any other OS, have you got the OS on CD and can you boot to your CD.

Cheers

Murray P

404error
12-03-2003, 04:09 PM
eh... well BIOS is detecting the HDD, but when it gets to the install of linux it just hangs on the "detecting hard drives" and it doeznt do anything, its got the install screen, the little wrist-watch cursor but that is about it. I got the HDD back today from a friend that was fixing it, kinda unsure on what he did, but he just did some partitioning and other stuff.

Dolby Digital
12-03-2003, 08:36 PM
what are the details of your machine?

Graham L
13-03-2003, 05:00 PM
Have you got a W98 install CD? If so, boot it, then use FDISK to remove any/all partitions. Leave it as one big empty, unallocated disk.

Linux should love that. What gets confusing is if it is partitioned as odd MS types. NTFS might be a problem, too. It's not allowed to wipe other OS partitions, without your permission.

It shouldn't just hang, which makes me believe that it might be really funny partitioning.