PDA

View Full Version : Modem not working

Danger
10-03-2003, 12:55 PM
A friend downloaded a critical update (Win Me) and his modem stopped working. As he also had printer probs which we were unable to fix for months, and we couldn't get his modem to work, I reinstalled windows, but still can't get his modem to work. Before reinstalling windows, we fitted a new battery, as his clock continually lost time. Could this have affected his bios settings so that his modem still won't work? I have the same modem in my old P3 which also won't work in his PC, but both modems work in my PC. Could the motherboard have a problem? What else can we try? All the settings have been checked and checked next to my PC but can't find the problem.

Elephant
10-03-2003, 01:10 PM
Is this an ISA modem? If so and the computer BIOS went back to default then it's possible that the modem and Com1 / Com2 are trying to use the same interrupt/IRQ. If it's NOT an ISA modem then the BIOS shouldn't matter.

Danger
10-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Thank you, typically not a half hour after posting, I have got the modem working. Had tried a different pci slot without success, as a last resort tried another and it now works. Strange that it would not work in the original or the second slot I tried.