PDA

View Full Version : MS QoS Packet stuff.... And help with NetMeeting and Vid Conferencing

Chilling_Silence
09-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Okay, here's my story:
Basically, the net can run so badly sometimes... You know how it is on dial-up.

I have been told that the QoS packet Scheduler or whatever can give my PC (A client on ICS) more priority for the bandwidth of my dial-up connection.

The younger sibblings goto neopets a lot which is VERY badwidth hungry when you get a 33K connection. Now, I want more priority over the connection, like you can give WinAmp or (Insert your process here) greater CPU priority over everything else. I just wanna have more priority, or, reserve a lesser part of my connection for use by that PC... Get what I mean??

Netmeeting:

I hold a vid conference across my LAN, and we connect fine, and it works in MSN Messenger, but in NM, both are set to receive but cannot send, so it just doesnt work... We can chat etc. But not do Vid conference.

What've I done wrong??

Thanks guys

Chilling_Silence

robsonde
10-03-2003, 03:18 PM
I think that the Qos system is automagicly set to have audio and video get mare bandwidth than web traffic

other solution is get a faster connection :-)

Chilling_Silence
10-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Looking into cable, but for the time being, any other ideas?

Thanks though, that'd be why MSN Messenger appears to work quite well with Vid conferencing!

Im wanting to use NetMeeting thou cuz Im not always online :-)

Big John
10-03-2003, 05:45 PM
QOS makes sure that there is bandwidth left over for the O/S. It dont give much hoot about anything else. It allocates about 30% of the bandwidth for itself.

Turn it off. Do a search and you will probably find many many reports to kill it off.

Chilling_Silence
10-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Okay, that solves part of it.

I basically want my PC (Client on ICS) to have more Internet bandwidth priority than the Gateway. I was told that QoS can do that, but maybe not.

Can anybody help with that?

And what about NetMeeting across the LAN?

Chilling_Silence
12-03-2003, 10:32 AM
<bump>

..Anybody know anything about bandwidth allocation?

Chilling_Silence
16-03-2003, 08:54 PM
*/me figures Pf1 is a little quiet so I'll just [bump] these two messages up and see if anybody can help!?!*

Please tell me Im not asking the impossible!?!