PDA

View Full Version : famous last words

beetle
09-03-2003, 08:28 PM
and i said i wasnt going to ask any more questions!
duh!

ok i have the clock thing Webtime installed and i want to check synchronisation cause i think my clock is out, but it says it cant connect to the other clock because it says socket is closed ?
what does that mean?

this has been in the system for ages.
windows XP
56k modem
anything else?

beetle

Murray P
09-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Hi ya bettle

Were you logged on to windows at the time and were you connected (online). i'm not sure what program you are using to sync your system clock (is it built into win xp?) but it may need to be configured to dial a connection if one is not present when it trys to sync. Alternatively just dial up then when connect try it.

There are freeware clock sync tools that are handy. If you have any problems getting your current one to work let us know and I'll post some links.

BTW. Its not unusual for the system clock to either fall behind or get ahead of time. If its not causing problems other than making you late or early, leave it for now. I take it that your machine is fairly new so, it should not be a battery issue unless it is way out and there are other issues happening to the machine (battery resides on the mother board and keeps CMOS chip empowered which in turn gets the basic functions and settings of your comp up and running at boot up).

Cheers

Murray P

godfather
09-03-2003, 09:16 PM
When you are on-line (connected to the internet) just double-click the time in the tray (lower RH side of screen).

That will bring up the time/date window, click on the "internet time" tab, and select time.windows.com in the selection box (I have 2 options in there and find that time.windows.com is the one that gives reliable corrections, the other one is often unavailable).

Therefore I am not sure what you are referring to as Webtime being installed. With XP you do not need a special application, its already there in the operating system.

Chilling_Silence
09-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Try letting it thru your FireWall, or disable the firewall altogether!

beetle
09-03-2003, 10:45 PM
ok this is not an XP program,
i thought my clock was out when first got on net and another puter person sent me this webtime thing to check it worked fine then, it actually corrected my clock.
but the other day Billy T said press F1 was out by 10 mins and so did mine but now it says its outabout 10 mins almost.

webtime 2000 is what comes up and it is on the programes list, under start up,

look this is not to big a problem, i have clocks everywhere so arent late but just wanted to no what closed socket meant,
i tried it again just now and still says it.

what else did you want to know ? cant remember?
oh and i did the time synchronisation thing on my XP clock and it was out!
but ok now.
i didnt know that was there,
so maybe i dont need this other one their? should i uninstall it?

beetle

nz_liam
09-03-2003, 11:33 PM
> so maybe i dont need this other one their? should i
> uninstall it?
>
> beetle

Most defiantly, it's just hogging system resources and making you PC run slower, it's probably SPY ware too, XP has a time sync utility so you dont need another, in short; ditch it :)

Cheers

Liam

beetle
09-03-2003, 11:35 PM
ok consider it done!

beetle
09-03-2003, 11:39 PM
ok change that i cant find it on add / remove programes what does that mean?
so i cant uninstall?
where else will it be hiding?

beetle

nz_liam
09-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Try right clicking the ICON in the start menu, then click "Properties", then click the shortcut tab (if it isn't already up) and click the "Find Target" button, and that should take you to where the Utility resides, have a look around that folder for a program called Uninstall or unwise.exe, if there is one double click it, and it should uninstall the Utility.