PDA

View Full Version : startup programs

tedheath
09-03-2003, 03:59 PM
I have W98SE in msconfig startup tab I have two programs PTSNOOP and Country selection if I uncheck them it makes no difference, next start they are there ticked.
I hear you all scream get a startup utility. This I have, startup cop which is the same I disable these two in startup cop next boot they are green again.
From google I have worked out PTSNOOP is bundled with modem software and is spyware. Not sure about country selection.
Can anyone help me disable or remove these programs from my computer
Thanks for your time.

Murray P
09-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi Ted

Do a search for Spybot or try Spyder. i think Susan has some info on the latter in the PF1 FAQ. You might also have something loading from your C:/ windows/ downloaded program files. Have a look and check out the names and properties of the files in there.

Cheers

Murray P

Greg S
09-03-2003, 05:04 PM
My understanding regards ptsnoop is that it's harmless - I had it with an old ISA modem I had.

Country Selection - try the following:

See if it's in your startup folder, and if so, delete it. (Start | Programs | Startup).

Go to Add/Remove Programs and see if you can delete the application there. (Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs))

In msconfig/startup check what the path is to the exe - eg C:\WINDOWS\ etc - then browse to the application, run it and see if it has an option to disable the autorun feature at startup.

If none of the above work, post back and we can give you the steps to kill it in the Registry.

tedheath
09-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Thanks Greg

PT SNOOP Or Country Selection are not in start up or in programs add or remove.
IN msconfig There is no path for both of them just this: ptsnoop.exe and country selection pctptt.exe.
I have got rid of stupid startup cop because its stupid and doesnt work.
Is spyware harmless as you say?

Thanks
tedheath

Greg S
09-03-2003, 06:23 PM
What I meant by harmless, was that I didn't find any evidence that it was spyware. Spyware itself is a scourge, and I definitly wouldn't be happy with it. Have you tried running Adaware - it should detect whether or not you've got something to worry about.

Do a search of your system - Start | Find etc for Country Selection - you might be able to find the programme like that, where it could be run, uninstalled, or disabled, hopefully.

If not, see if it appears in the registry:

Backup the registry.
Go Start | Run | type regedit | Ok
Browse the registry folders in the left pane to:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\Run-

If it's there try deleting the relevant key, reboot, and see what happens.

tedheath
09-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Thanks Greg

Did file search on explorer for these two but nothing there.
Went into registry found these two deleted them rebooted they are still there.
Tried renaming them and deleting still nothing reboot and the renamed ones are there as well.
If only I could get my hands on the scum who put this stuff on my computer which I cant remove.
They are from the modem software which I installed after my computer got its ass fried form a lightening strike.
I suppose the only way out of this is to buy another modem
Thanks

tedheath

Pheonix
09-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Just beware you MAY be chasing your tail. Ptsnoop.exe is a legit file used for HSF modems. Also your country code. If in doubt, physically remove modem, then restart and delete any references to these files. On another restart, see if they reappear. If they don't, then they are the legit files for your modem and windows is putting them back as part of the drivers.

Susan B
09-03-2003, 08:40 PM
I have just been to my other geek haunt to see if they know about this PTSNOOP thing and no one there is phased by it. They are very knowledgeable people there and it looks like heaps of others have it in their Startup list - for their modem, like you say.

One reply (for an unrelated problem) had this to say:

The pctptt.exe and ptsnoop.exe are both for your modem.....however, most of the time, those two items can be unchecked via start, run, msconfig, startup, without any ill effect. If everything still works, you can also get rid of ptsnoop in the bios settings, otherwise, I think that puppy will keep putting itself back.

I also found the following info from pacs-portal (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm#P):

These descriptions I've come across - all valid as far as I can see :-
(1) Program installed with some modems that monitors the COM ports for the modem driver. Not required from what I've read - may need a registry edit to get rid of it
(2) Backdoor trojan virus that copies itself as PTSNOOP.EXE -see here (http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/ptsnoop.shtml) for more info
(3) Apparently the people who put it out claim it's a driver for a Voice modems (don't know who they are though - Ed)
Note: If using AOL and you disable this you may lose your connection or lock up
(4) Can also be an older Logitech scanner program. Remove from the Win.ini tab under Load='path'\PTSNOOP and the System.ini tab under drivers='path'\ptrtkr.drb. Can cause parallel port conflicts big time dragging system resources way down when a conflict exists
(5) Allows audio monitoring of modem phone dialling tones and can be useful if you have connection problems

From that I would be inclined to agree with Greg and Pheonix that there is no need to worry about PTSNOOP.

Susan B
09-03-2003, 08:42 PM
> no one there is phased by it.

That does not look right. It should be "fazed", shouldn't it? :8}